spot light soft shadow (variance vs depth pcf)

Started by
11 comments, last by jamesw 17 years, 6 months ago
Quote:
Actually, only fp16x2 is renderable on the 6/7 series (according to NVIDIA's GPU Programming Guide and my experience). Both formats are filterable. NVIDIA could be using an fp16x4 in the background behind our back, but I don't think they are.

Hmm, that's strange. Like you said, the GPU programming guide says that D3DFMT_G16R16 is not renderable, but the caps viewer on my machine says it is. Anyone actually tried this out on a geforce 6/7?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by jamesw
Hmm, that's strange. Like you said, the GPU programming guide says that D3DFMT_G16R16 is not renderable, but the caps viewer on my machine says it is. Anyone actually tried this out on a geforce 6/7?

Sigh, I hate the caps stuff ...

I believe it can have the "usage" of rendertarget (ie D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET), but its not a RenderTarget "format". In the Caps viewer for this laptop (Nvidia 6800 Go), D3DFMT_G16R16 is not listed under "Render Target Formats" but is listed as a texture format that can have RenderTarget usage. I believe all this means is that it can be used as a source or dest when doing a StretchRect from texture to texture. I could definitely be wrong about this, so you may want to ask Nvidia. My hunch is to believe the table in the GPU Programming Guide though.

Stranger still! D3DFMT_G16R16 is listed under render targets and has render target usage on my 6800 GT!

Caps viewer page

What driver ver are you on? I'm on 93.50 (the instrumented version that comes with nvPerfKit2.1) but the first time I checked i was on 84.21.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement