How to make console games?

Started by
14 comments, last by kgrandpak 17 years, 5 months ago
xbox uses xdk which integrates into vs.net 2003
ps2 also has integration but to vs 6 (1998) and codewarrior, prodg
gamecube has basically the same as ps2 but for gamecube
ps3 i hear is based on publicly available tools and
xbox 360 should be same as xbox but probably for vs 2005 and with xenon sdk
wii since its basically gamecube 1.5 with wiimote basically updated gamecube sdk tools
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Who uses codewarrior these days?
Nintendo.

I'm stuck with Code-shitting-Warrior doing DS development.

For DS development, you use a devkit which plugs into a USB port:

Is Nitro emulator?
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
Quote:Original post by V-man
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Who uses codewarrior these days?
Nintendo.

I'm stuck with Code-shitting-Warrior doing DS development.

For DS development, you use a devkit which plugs into a USB port:

Is Nitro emulator?

Check where the image is from. It is part of this website.

Enjoy.
Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
[google] for XNA.

Don't worry everyone will agree this is the best answer.
Yes, I'm being serious just [google] for XNA.

You've got to be kidding me! XNA is only good for Microsoft platforms and NOTHING else!

If you want to make console games, focus on cross platform solutions.

Your comment is analogous to saying, "Want to make a PS3 game, one word DirectX!"
KierMOGware
Quote:Original post by kgrandpak
You've got to be kidding me! XNA is only good for Microsoft platforms and NOTHING else!

Your comment is analogous to saying, "Want to make a PS3 game, one word DirectX!"

I tend to agree with the Alpha_ProgDes on that particular answer.

Re-read the parent post very carefully.

The poster had asked *specifically* about next-gen console dev kits. Not the DS emulator or the xbox modded versions, but writing for actual legitimate releasable next-gen PS3/Wii/XBox360 development. In order to have a chance at his homebrew program making it to the market, the only *viable* path will be an Xbox downloadable game, which means XNA.

Let's look at the paths:

Windows -> Wii. Very difficult even with the proper tools. Our teams with devkits and proper support have problems with that.
Windows -> PS3. Same as above.
Windows XNA -> XBox XNA. Possible to use the code almost directly. If the game passes the 0.001% chance of actually moving to the platform, it will be able to move fairly easily.

There is no chance whatsoever that an unknown homebrew developer will get any of those three devkits. It will not happen. There is an infinitesimal chance that an excellent homebrew game on PC which is fairly successful on its own web sight might be migrated over to the xbox if it were already written for XNA.

My advice - make it for one platform. Write it for a platform you have available to you. Don't bother thinking about any other platforms until you have completed it on the first platform.
Quote:Original post by frob
Quote:Original post by kgrandpak

I tend to agree with the Alpha_ProgDes on that particular answer.

Re-read the parent post very carefully.

The poster had asked *specifically* about next-gen console dev kits. Not the DS emulator or the xbox modded versions, but writing for actual legitimate releasable next-gen PS3/Wii/XBox360 development. In order to have a chance at his homebrew program making it to the market, the only *viable* path will be an Xbox downloadable game, which means XNA.

Let's look at the paths:

Windows -> Wii. Very difficult even with the proper tools. Our teams with devkits and proper support have problems with that.
Windows -> PS3. Same as above.
Windows XNA -> XBox XNA. Possible to use the code almost directly. If the game passes the 0.001% chance of actually moving to the platform, it will be able to move fairly easily.

There is no chance whatsoever that an unknown homebrew developer will get any of those three devkits. It will not happen. There is an infinitesimal chance that an excellent homebrew game on PC which is fairly successful on its own web sight might be migrated over to the xbox if it were already written for XNA.

My advice - make it for one platform. Write it for a platform you have available to you. Don't bother thinking about any other platforms until you have completed it on the first platform.

<blush> I admit I wasn't thinking about casual homebrew development. If thats your angle, then you are probably right. Develop on what you can and hope it goes somewhere from there.
KierMOGware

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement