11 comments, last by daviangel 17 years, 5 months ago
Quote:Original post by Instigator
and by:
Quote:
GF 5000 & 6000

Don't you mean
Quote:
Fx 5000 & 6000

The GeForce 6 series (the 6000 you reference there) are NOT FX architecture GPUs. There's so much different in the arch that you can't call it an FX.

Also, GF 6 cards are shader model 3.0.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Instigator
@Will F, I found this quote in your link to the book

Quote:
Officially, Microsoft's DirectX 9.0 now only supports versions of Visual Studio 7.0 (i.e., Visual Studio .NET 2002) or higher.

However, I'm confused because I've read somewhere else that I can use my "Dev-C++" compiler.

Can someone please explain to me what this is all about?

I don't know anytning about Dev-C++, but you can get Visual C++ 2005 Express for free and it's great. You get MS's compiler (which optimizes just as good in Express as it does in Pro/Team edition) so you won't have to worry about DX compatability problems. Plus it has a super nice IDE.

As far as your original question, go ahaid with DX9 since the cards for that are cheap and you don't need to upgrade to Vista, like you would have to do with DX10 (plus the GeForce 8800 GTS/GTX are not cheap cards, although well worth it - I've been using one for months now at work, shortly after tape-out :).

Also unless you have Vista installed you won't even be able to run any DX10 apps you might make.
I found this out trying some of the DX10 samples in the latest Microsoft DX SDK.
You can compile them under winxp but can't even run them unless you got Vista installed. Oh well I ran into the same thing compiling my first 64bit directx apps too!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement