Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Video Game Exploits...

Started by Rain 7 Nov 25, 2006 at 1:32 AM 61 replies 10.7k views
Original Post
Rain 7
Rain 7
I know that we are mostly developers, musicians and artists who are interested in making games but I reckon there are a few people in here that are badasses with a joystick (what have you) in their hand as well. Do you consider yourself, good at games? I admit that I am not particularly good at games given the time that I've spent with them growing up but I now consider myself of the elite, the old school elite at least. I can't win at Quake tournaments and I damn well may not be able to keep a beat in DDR, but I DID beat Contra III in 14 minutes on the Hard difficulty setting without losing a life. (All by myself! /high fives self) Others: I've completed Chrono Trigger in 11 hours without the + game function. I can beat Final Fantasy VI in 13 hours. I've beaten Bionic Commando in 30 minutes without losing a life... Am I cool, or WHAT?! Ayways, do you guys have any impressive exploits from your game playing days that you might wish to share?
lethalhamster
lethalhamster
I don't really have any exploits to mention, but when I play Day of Defeat:Source(Half-Life 2 WWII Mod) I am usually in the top 3 or 4 players out of 32 on the scoreboard. I can raelly get into it, and after palying for many years(I also pwn at the origianl DoD for HL) I get used to the maps and can anticipate where the enemy will be judging by the number of capture points they have. Also, in a game like that they count flag captures before kills, so I'm not always the one with the most kills(Usually thats the Machine Gunner or the Sniper) but I will have more flag capturess than 28 of the other players.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Iron Chef Carnage
Iron Chef Carnage
I beat Donkey Kong Country within two hours of getting it.

Thirty minutes for Bionic Commando? Hax! You probably do it
">the easy way
.

Edit: My actual superhuman achievement was the result of me being suckered. Back in the day, EGM had an April Fools gag in the back of their magazine. They showed a Goldeneye screenshot of the Sean Connery player model, which was coded in but left inactive, but could be extracted using the Gameshark (hot coffee-style; I can only imagine the lawsuits such a thing would inspire today) and instructions for how to get the "All Bonds" cheat. There were two columsn of cheats in the game, and I had all 23 of them unlocked (a feat unto itself), but there was that last blank spot, and I was glad someone had figured it out.

So I read the instructions, which were to go to Aztec on 007 difficulty (which allowed you to customize the enemy AI) and set it to 200% enemy HP, 100% enemy accuracy, 1000% enemy damage and 100% enemy reaction time. Basically, it takes three headshots to drop a bad guy, and if they see you, you're dead. Then you have to beat it in nine minutes or less. I spent an afternoon dying in Aztec (the hardest level anyway) and managed to beat it in eight minutes flat with those parameters. I didn't get a damn thing as a reward, and the next issue of EGM explained that it was a joke, to see how many people would be stupid enough to attempt an impossible task. But I did it, and when all my laurels are stripped away, and all my roses, I'll still have that one white plume.

[Edited by - Iron Chef Carnage on November 25, 2006 5:16:01 AM]
Rain 7
Rain 7
Quote:
Original post by Iron Chef Carnage
Thirty minutes for Bionic Commando? Hax! You probably do it
">the easy way
.


...45 minutes the 'hard' way.
Rixter
Rixter
Quote:
Original post by Rain 7
I know that we are mostly developers, musicians and artists who are interested in making games but I reckon there are a few people in here that are badasses with a joystick (what have you) in their hand as well.

Do you consider yourself, good at games?

I admit that I am not particularly good at games given the time that I've spent with them growing up but I now consider myself of the elite, the old school elite at least. I can't win at Quake tournaments and I damn well may not be able to keep a beat in DDR, but I DID beat Contra III in 14 minutes on the Hard difficulty setting without losing a life. (All by myself! /high fives self)

Others:

I've completed Chrono Trigger in 11 hours without the + game function.
I can beat Final Fantasy VI in 13 hours.
I've beaten Bionic Commando in 30 minutes without losing a life...


Impressive, I'm not sure I can beat Contra III at all...

For me, I can beat Super Metroid in about 1h 15 minutes. I've seen it done in an hour with 100% (I have the video by smokey), but it uses actual exploits which I don't care to use. Plus I still find the game fun, I'm pretty sure if I ever got that good, I wouldn't like it anymore.

I can beat Metroid II in about 45 minutes (I think, it's been a while), if anybody cares.

I still pwnzxr at TFC like an LPB :D.

I got all Gold medals on all license tests in Gran Turismo 2. Gran Turismo 4 can bite me.
Avatar God
Avatar God
I need to retime myself playing through Halo. I was ridiculously quick at it at one point...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
I beat Street Fighter vs. X-Men with one quarter. I think I used Ken and Wolverine.
Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
Salsa
Salsa
I was able to last 20 minutes in Daikatana before my brain imploded and my eyes were plunged into the 7th realm of Hell. Seriously, I dare you try and beat 20.
Kult House - Fresh Production Media
Riviera Kid
Riviera Kid
i am very good at fps's.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are tard coated tards with ***tard filling."
Densun
Densun
I think I'm going to gain more and more as I keep working at Nintendo. Can't mention anything right now, though.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Quote:
Original post by Salsa
I was able to last 20 minutes in Daikatana before my brain imploded and my eyes were plunged into the 7th realm of Hell. Seriously, I dare you try and beat 20.


I uh... kinda... beat daikatana.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Rain 7
Rain 7
Quote:
Original post by Rixter
Impressive, I'm not sure I can beat Contra III at all...


Thanks! It took a few years to get good at it.


Quote:
Original post by RixterFor me, I can beat Super Metroid in about 1h 15 minutes.



Thats pretty cool. It takes me no less than 4 to 5 hours to beat Super Metroid. I never get to see half naked Samus after beating the game and I always cry.
Ceoddyn
Ceoddyn
I have no true accomplishments per se, my wow guild killed 3 naxx bosses before I quit but that's not really special any more, and I can hold my own in counterstrike source and defense of the ancients (wc3)
njpaul
njpaul
At one point I was so quick at beating the Resident Evil remake that I'd play it through twice in an afternoon. I'd do speed races to see how fast I could make it through and I'd shoot for under 2 hours. My best time was 2:00:01. I also had the location of every enemy memorized in the game so I could do the speed races with the invisibility mode on.
bjle
bjle
I'm not sure how it compares to Contra, but I was pretty proud to beat Perfect Cherry Blossom (and the extra stage).

Back in the day I considered myself a "Sonic the Hedgehog" pro, but being around 10 I probably wasn't actually that great.
DogCity
DogCity
My claim to fame is I was top of the Jolt 2v2 Counter Strike league for a few months back in.. hmm 2001?

Pretty good at video games generally, it tends to piss off competitive friends. Though I don't play so much any more, in fact I hardly play at all now :(.
------ ----- ---- --- -- -Export-Games.com is searching for talented and friendly developers. Visit our Help Wanted post for more info!My Indie development uber Journal - A game production walk through.
Paradigm Shifter
Paradigm Shifter
I won all the cups with all the cars of N64 F-Zero X on Master Level (or whatever the hardest level is called).

It took me about a month to finish off them all.

I also got all 120 shines on Mario Sunshine and only used a guide to get the last 6 blue coins. Man that was hard.

I did the Advanced level (middle one) of Super Monkey Ball on the cube without losing a life... but the bonus levels were too hard so I gave up. The "Expert" level really is just too difficult for an old timer like me.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
GAME: Rainbow Six 2: Rogue Spear
MODE: Deathmatch
MAP: Killhouses
OPT: Pistols and Grenades only

I won 5 rounds straight against 9 other players with nothing but a Desert Eagle (I don't use grenades on matter of principle). I killed at least half of the other players in each round, and one round saw me kill all of them.
Rain 7
Rain 7
Quote:
Original post by bjle
I'm not sure how it compares to Contra, but I was pretty proud to beat Perfect Cherry Blossom (and the extra stage).


I haven't had a chance to play any manic shooters but I've heard they are damn near impossible. That video submission confirms this. How the hell are you supposed to dodge all those projectiles? It seems like there are a hundred per square inch!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.