How many dimensions can you have in a game?

Started by
22 comments, last by JBourrie 17 years, 4 months ago
Check out the Japanese PSX2 game Remote Control Dandy DX.

In the game players control a giant 100foot tall robot, but at the SAME time they are running around in first person view avoiding obsticals on the ground and manuvering for a better view of the robot action. Can be a very hard game, uses every button on the PSX2 controller to both control the human character and every action of the giant robot (down to each foot step).

That is more complex than changeing between worlds because players must deal not only with thier dimentional location and danger, but at the same time they are dealing with the much larger robots dimentional situation and dangers...switching worlds only requires players to deal with thier present dimention and location at one time.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by templewulf
On another note, the fading in-out is a good idea. I imagine they wouldn't fade so much as shrink. Sort of like how people "shrink" as they become more distant.

Interesting, that would also make targetting harder as they are getting away from you...I like it.

Quote:Original post by templewulf
What I don't want to attempt, though, is to describe a level that changes in mathematical terms. At best, you could have 2 level layouts at each extreme of the fifth dimension and interpolate between them depending on where you are on that dimension. The problem is whether or not you could stop shifting in the middle. I mean, depth isn't a binary state, you can stop between point A and point B. I just don't think it's possible for humans to visualize it coherently, much less represent it in concrete terms a computer can show you.

I certainly think you could stop anywhere between (I did try to say that in my original post but I make have failed). Also I'm not entirely convinced that it would hard to visualize/control/represent...only problem for me would be actually coding the thing as I'm far too lazy.

Quote:Original post by spartanx
I like this!

Thanks, I like it to :-P I've not read that book you mentioned, sounds interesting though.

Quote:Original post by spartanx
One issue on the rendering side is how to accomplish the popping and distortion - especially if areas have a huge difference (wooded vs. urbanized). But I suspect with clever shaders doing scaling, shearing, blending, blurring, and refracting it's doable [cool].

Yes, there would be some interesting problems to over come here but I think it would be very doable and could work really well...on that note if anyone wants to do it then be my guest, I'm certainly to lazy/busy to complete anything like this :(
I don't think that four dimensional game worlds is such a good idea; not only would the math to display such a system be really hard, it would be difficult for the user to visualize it. For me, at least, there needs to be some kind of indicator to see where you are in this fourth spatial dimension such as a slider or something so you can distinguish between being in world w=1 and w=2.

Also, I think it's more about degrees of freedom than actual dimensions in the game. I'm not sure if this is exactly right, but in say an FPS you can move front/back, left/right, have a limited ability to jump, turn left/right, look up/down, etc. Human brains are well-adapted to 3D spaces, but I feel any more borders on too confusing.
Quote:Original post by psykr
I don't think that four dimensional game worlds is such a good idea; not only would the math to display such a system be really hard, it would be difficult for the user to visualize it.

4D visualization

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement