Typical number of bones in a model

Started by
13 comments, last by christian h 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:
Hardly on a shader model 1 card, and even not all shader model 3 cards do vertex texturing (I think NVIDIA does, but ATI not).

I use R2VB on the ATI cards instead.
Advertisement
From OpenGL's vertex-shader specs:
Quote:
The amount of storage
that is available for vertex shader uniform variables is specified by
the implementation dependent constant MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS_ARB.
This value represents the number of individual floating point values, or
individual integer values or individual Boolean values that can be held
in uniform variable storage for a vertex shader

For me (GF6600GT), this value shows 512 which makes 128 vectors which makes 32 4x4 matrices or 42 4x3 matrices. Correct me if I'm still wrong, but this does read in the specs.

ch.
Quote:Original post by christian h

For me (GF6600GT), this value shows 512 which makes 128 vectors which makes 32 4x4 matrices or 42 4x3 matrices. Correct me if I'm still wrong, but this does read in the specs.

The value is 512, which makes 512 vectors. One register is 4 floats wide.

Bye, Thomas

----------
Gonna try that "Indie" stuff I keep hearing about. Let's start with Splatter.
Quote:
From OpenGL's vertex-shader specs:

Quote:
The amount of storage
that is available for vertex shader uniform variables is specified by
the implementation dependent constant MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS_ARB.
This value represents the number of individual floating point values, or
individual integer values or individual Boolean values that can be held
in uniform variable storage for a vertex shader

ch.

Oh I see the confusion now, some of us are talking about constant registers holding 4 values a piece, and some are talking about the number of values period.

Personally I find it easier to discuss things in terms of the vec4 registers.

Btw, I thought pixel shader 3.0 hardware was required to support a total of 256 constant registers (float, int and bool)?

BennyW
Quote:Original post by bennyW
Oh I see the confusion now, some of us are talking about constant registers holding 4 values a piece, and some are talking about the number of values period.

Personally I find it easier to discuss things in terms of the vec4 registers.

Btw, I thought pixel shader 3.0 hardware was required to support a total of 256 constant registers (float, int and bool)?

BennyW

Ok, I took a look with the DXCapsViewer and indeed, it shows 256 vertex shader constants, which is in float4, right?
Now I just wonder why the OpenGL implementation has half less registers? Same hardware and everything. Or are they cheating on the fact that they'd have 256 registers on DX?

ch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement