[web] Giving up on DIV layouts

Started by
23 comments, last by Sonnenblume 17 years, 4 months ago
Oh, btw for those that want to know, I haven't given up and finally got my website coded using divs. It is not very flexible when it comes to resizing, but resizing is not one of my specifications. Anyway this page helped a lot:

http://www.subcide.com/tutorials/csslayout/index.aspx

The only thing I wasn't able to implement was equal height columns and the hacks that are available don't seem good to me.
Try, try and fucking try again.
Advertisement
Heh, I thought I recognized that domain... subcide.com -- he's a friend of mine from a designer community called theroot42.org

As a person who develops and oversees the development of websites, I can say unequivocally that CSS/XHTML layouts are phenomenal. Of course there's a frustrating learning curve, but once you "get it," you'll never go back. I hate tables, and avoid them at all costs simply because of the horrible code bloat.

One thing I'd like to note though, is that it's not a matter of "div layouts." That's frowned upon just like tables are. What you're trying to do is create
"semantic layouts," which means that the document's markup has meaning in and of itself.

Anyone who tells you that tables for layout are a good idea are people who don't have any serious experience in the field, or any deep knowledge of the internet in general. It's the same principle as "n-tiered" apps.
naw what im not gettin is how to put all the codes in certain spots on my page
You really can't get equal height columns in CSS (probably it's most obvious limitation). There are ways of producing the effect you are looking for though. It's generally referred to as the "Faux Columns" technique, which you can google.
My advice to you is to find a site that offers CSS/Div templates, and looking at how these have been constructed.

Once you have seen it done, its a lot easier to figure out how to manage it yourself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement