Getting a Mac

Started by
23 comments, last by Muzo72 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by nsmadsen
3) RAM: I started with 1.5 and then upgraded to 2 Gigs. When I get more cash, I plan to upgrade to 3 Gigs. I'm not planning on doing 4 Gigs of RAM because I've done research about Windows XP only supporting up to 3 Gigs- past that and you're wasting space and money. I've checked this with several of my computer science PhD friends and they confirmed it. If doing these things doesn't help well.... I'm not sure what will.

I don't know what the situation is on Win XP, but I do know that on the Mac OS roughly 3GB is maximum RAM that any single program can access. Therefore having another 1 GB of RAM as headroom for the OS and any other open apps is very useful if you tend to max out your ram with sample headers for streaming. People have also recently been coming up with some creative audio routings from one app to another to allow access to up to 8 GB of RAM for loading samples when working on a single arrangement.

If you load large amounts of samples like full orchestra arrangements, understanding how this RAM management works can allow you really strech the power of your system. You might want to ask around and try to get the full breakdown of how RAM is handled in XP.
Advertisement
Okay, so it only took about three weeks, but Dell has finally agreed to giving me a complete refund. :) Yay!!!

I have about $2800 to work with and would really rather stay out of CC debt (I just got out of it). I started looking at a Mac, but am now also considering a DAW. I'm not going to buy a major brand name computer anymore due to my terrible experience with Dell.

A computer I'm very interested is here:

Neato Computer

HUSH-Qx Extreme from Sonicalabs

System Specifications

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme 64 Bit Quad Core QX6700 2.66GHz 8MB L2
Chipset: 1066MHz FSB Intel 965 chipset
RAM: 2GB DDR-2 RAM 667 Dual Channel - Matched Pair 8GB max
System Drive: 160GB 7200RPM Ultra 300 SATA II with 16 MB buffer
Audio Drive: 320GB 7200RPM Ultra 300 SATA II with 16 MB buffer
Samples Drive: 320GB 7200RPM Ultra 300 SATA II with 16 MB buffer
Optical Drive: Dual Layer 18x DVD+-RW/CD-RW Combo Optical Drive
USB Ports: 10 USB 2.0 (6 Rear/2 Front/2 Internal)
1394 IEEE: 2 FireWire Ports (1 Rear/1Front) Texas Instruments
Video: Nvidia GeForce 7300 PCI-E 256MB DDR2 DVI VGA HDTV
PCI Slots: 3 Open Slots UAD-1 and TC-Powercore Ready
PCIe Slots: 3 Open Slots UAD-1 and TC-Powrcore Ready
Drive Expansion Bays: 2 3.5" Open for Hard Disks
LAN: (10/100/1000 Mbits/sec) Intel 82566DC Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Legacy I/O: 1-serial, 1-parallel and 2-PS/2 ports
Audio: Intel High Definition 6-channel (5.1) audio subsystem
PSU: 550 watt silent power supply
Quiet Technology: Intel Precision Cooling Technology
Operating System: Windows XP Audio Tuned
Other Software: Samplitude SE V8, NERO Suite, System Recovery
Input: RF Wireless Keyboard and Wireless Optical Mouse
Dimensions: 16.9" X 7" X 20.5" 4U Rack Mount
Support: Unlimited Phone / Email Technical Support
Warraty: Two Year Parts and Labor

Here is my thinking- for a little more (about 200 bucks) than my budget I can get a computer that has most of the things I need (i.e. several drives, good ram, and is tuned for audio production). With a Mac, I'll have to spend at least $1,000 to get this. Plus, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Plat. which (for the most part) has been an okay sound card. What do you all think of that sound card?

I want to maximize my purchase and be able to work with my samples and programs on a fast, steady computer. So- any suggestions on particular models you recommend would really help. (ps- I have thought about just making my own computer, but am not very experienced in that field. I do have some friends that could possibly help me though...but I might be better off leaving it to the pros).

Thanks guys!

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Just a couple quick notes...

First, You mention that you have 2 gigs of spare memory lying around, but just to make sure you're aware, the Mac Pro uses DDR2 FB-DIMMs, FB-DIMMS are not the same as the DDR2 thats common in Desktop PCs. It's more commonly found in server and some workstation-class hardware. Be sure the DIMMs you have are indeed Fully Buffered, and get some more RAM if they're not. Two gigs is really the minimum for this kind of work, and any more than 4 is probably overkill for you if your audio work isn't what's paying your bills.

Secondly, consider raid 5 for performance and protection. failing that, Have some system in place for regular archival of your samples and in-progress work such as an external hard drive or network backup unit.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

That sounds like a VERY nice system. If you start maxing THAT out then the problem isn't your computer! :)

I'm surprised you want to stick with the soundblaster though, that's really a consumer playback system rather than a pro or even semi-pro recording card. I'd keep it, just for the hardware EAX (which a pro card wouldn't have) for when playing games but when doing audio recording it would definately be worth getting something more suited to audio recording. At our studios we have Focusrite Saffires on the simplest systems, some M-audio's, I have 2 tascam FW-1884's systems which suit me perfectly and we have various other setups depending on what they're for, big mixers, etc... The preamps on the Focusrites are lovely, I was recording super subtle foley recently and was really impressed by their SNR. There's a lot of cards out there though, depends on what features you need.

Personally, i can't stand Soundblasters though, the amount of sh!t they install on your machine is just criminal and there's various other horrible little things they do which i can't be bothered to list.
Quote:Original post by VectorWarrior
That sounds like a VERY nice system. If you start maxing THAT out then the problem isn't your computer! :)

Actually, a lot of people I know run 3-4 computers (or more) in addition to their DAW machine because they max them out. Mainly it's the RAM that gets maxxed. Samplers with quality libraries can be pretty demanding these days.

[Edited by - Muzo72 on December 12, 2006 2:02:23 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement