I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

Started by
57 comments, last by asm_fsm 17 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Diodor
Wasn't there a workable artificial gravity device in that 400 blows film? :)

Yeah, except it makes most people nauseous... [sick]
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by LessBread
It seems to me that if we figured out gravity we would also have figured out faster than light travel, in which case we could just colonize a suitable planet in another star system. [cue Star Trek theme song... ]
Quote:Original post by Diodor
Wasn't there a workable artificial gravity device in that 400 blows film? :)

Yeah, except it makes most people nauseous... [sick]

Space... space enough to always throw up where nobody has barfed before! [grin]
How much of it has to do with staking claim to all that lunar real estate? Buy Moon Property Legally

Get your piece of the moon today!!! [grin]

As a serious question though, how much of yesterday's announcement has to do with last June's announcement: China Plans To Land On Moon By 2024?

Quote:
SHANGHAI, China, June 20, 2006

(AP) China plans a manned lunar mission by 2024 that will include a walk on the moon's surface, a top Chinese scientist was quoted as saying in a Hong Kong newspaper.

The announcement by lunar program vice director Long Lehao shows long-term preparations are moving ahead for the country's space exploration program.

The program went into overdrive following China's first successful manned space mission in 2003 and may include a space walk by an additional manned mission next year.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by SticksandStones
In related news, there's water on mars.

Mars > Moon.
huh, no mention of the middle school kids that actually figured it out. I actually had a chance to talk to Dr. Joy Crisp about this just before I graduated from college. Apparently the imagery is available to anyone that wishes to look; NASA does a lot of open-source and open-access projects these days.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by Rain 7
Quote:Original post by asm_fsmhaving the human species living on other planets is like having a savings account. In case humans or some natural disaster destroy the ability to live on earth, the species will move on.

No its not. Though I partially understand what you are going for with the comparison, having people on another planet is NOTHING like having a savings account. Money and people are 2 very separate principles, although some might beg to differ. If humans are smart enough to live through catastrophic destruction of the earth, then it will be. However, in the event that we leave the earth to habituate another part of the solar system, infinite more complications will arise. For one thing, the moon has no natural resources that humans can consume and use for the purposes of nutritional upkeep, unlike earth. What good is a 'space building' if we have no means to survive whilst in it?

Growing food in space is not much different from stoners growing pot in their closet. The ISS grows edible plants in their space station to supply their crew with fresh vegetables and food.

All you need is power and lights. Put a super large nuclear reactor on the moon, grow plants and vegetables, and soybeans for food. Your set! I can even imagine orchards and cattle..
Quote:Original post by asm_fsm
Growing food in space is not much different from stoners growing pot in their closet...

Now that you mention it, I think this space station is an excellent idea!
Growing food in space is not much different from stoners growing pot in their closet...

that would give space ceak a whole new dimension!
Quote:
Quote:
If you believe Professor Stephen Hawking, the bottom line answer is simple. Our very survival as a species may depend on space travel, a field in which Nasa is world leader. "The survival of the human race is at risk as long as it is confined to a single planet," Professor Hawkings said last week, warning of the existential peril of a major asteroid collision. But if independent colonies can be established in space, mankind's future should be safe.

What do you think? Will it work? Is it worth it? Is the plan "Brain Damaged"?

When Stephen Hawking says the above, the smart money is with him. If, arguably, one of the smartest men alive recommends that humanity moves outwards, I think it would be foolish to disagree.

To prove my point, here is a humorous link to that video site.
"Just wait till tomorrow,I guess that's what they all say, just before they fall apart."New Order, Regret

LOL!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement