Why is all the new Microsoft technology C# junk?

Started by
85 comments, last by Sneftel 17 years, 4 months ago
Can anyone list me some of good big desktop application written in NET? Don't post me server stuff. Only monolith desktop applications...

I am looking for them since 2 months...

What application developed in NET is even from Microsoft right now?

What I found in NET:
- Setup
Nothing new added. What are benefits? Needs NET framework, so I needed to create setup using independend tool because my customer said that he wont be asking his customers to install service pack for just installing my app on pocket pc via this setup.

- Library added to VS 2005
sucks badly. Runs slowly. Crushes!!! Hanging up and showing that it is searching! After hang up all settings are lost. If you set search to C++ and platform SDK it will reset to C# when crushing. After setting to "try local first,not online" will search online afer crush. Crush all the times! Topic are not found when you press F1 in visual studio. While the topics exist near the place that was found, the place marked is not the equivalent.
Have you ever used library with VC6??? That was brilliant. Event with 2003 was good but unfortunately build-in VS. Why it is crushing so badly?

What are not NET?
- IE7 !!!! Why? NET is supposed to be future!
- office 2003
- tools added to VS2005
- Visual Studio 2005 itself, 2003, 6.0
- new Active Sync

Non microsoft's still not NET?
-new Acrobat reader 8
-photoshop
-jasc's softwares
-antiviruses
-nokia desktop suite
-enterprise architect
-emulators for Pocket PC's and WM phones.

When you read MSDN articles there are a lot of thing about combining C++ with NET. You can use NET code from NATIVE applications, and part of code will remain native, and part will be NET.

Why nobody do this?

Why VS Express does not include MFC but include NET? Is it to much worth for microsoft, STILL?

At the end I must say that when MS released Windows Mobile 2003 phones without native support he now he sucked. So now With Windows Mobile 2005 all mobile devices supports also, and mostly NATIVE!!! ,like pocket pc always did.

Ps. Now is your turn to rate me negatively. Why? Because I don't agree with your point of view. So come on.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by wfreliszka
What application developed in NET is even from Microsoft right now?

A better question might be what isn't. They're not tossing out their old codebases (that'd just be stupid -- you don't throw out good, working code), but they are implementing a lot of their new systems using .NET.

Quote:- Library added to VS 2005
sucks badly. Runs slowly. Crushes!!!

This hasn't been my experience at all.

Quote:What are not NET?
- IE7 !!!! Why? NET is supposed to be future!
- office 2003
- tools added to VS2005
- Visual Studio 2005 itself, 2003, 6.0
- new Active Sync

Well, VS6.0 at least dosn't use .NET because it was written before the bloody C++ standard, nevermind C# or any of the other .NET standards. Further, it's a legacy application which is no longer supported by Microsoft for basic things like DirectX support.

C# is also still evolving, with 3.0 just having been released a year ago. Getting everything that they want/need into the language, such as some security features, has delayed the adoptation -- or temporarilly stalled/reduced use of it, for many projects (such as Vista and IE7 -- at least, this is the rumor).

Quote:Non microsoft's still not NET?
-new Acrobat reader 8
-photoshop
-jasc's softwares
-antiviruses
-nokia desktop suite
-enterprise architect
-emulators for Pocket PC's and WM phones.

You've picked quite a number of mature (Acrobat, Photoshop, Pocket PC emulation) and/or low level (antivirus) projects, where .NET is naturally going to get the least early adoption. Consider companies out there are still using the likes of C and COBOL, just because of their huge legacy codebases written in the stuff, and it seems kind of silly to quesiton the very latest revolution.

Specifically, on the topic of antivirus, they're at a distinct disadvantage writing new code in .NET so early on -- self-verifying the integrity of compiled code on a new and evolving platform can't be fun. Even the current vanguard has to be a pain in the ass to keep up with.

Microsoft certainly covers some of the people using .NET -- closer to home, Arena Wars comes to mind as a noteworthy C#/.NET game, even though game developers are one of the slowest non-legacy adopters of new "high level" languages.

Quote:When you read MSDN articles there are a lot of thing about combining C++ with NET. You can use NET code from NATIVE applications, and part of code will remain native, and part will be NET.

Why nobody do this?

Microsoft do this.

Quote:Why VS Express does not include MFC but include NET? Is it to much worth for microsoft, STILL?

I didn't quite grok the last sentance, but the first part is best summed up with: MFC is legacy code. It's been superceeded not only by .NET, but half a bazillion free open source alternatives. I shan't miss it, and those that will obviously still have their current versions of VS. TBH, it's worth chucking just to reduce the download size. Even though I have broadband.

Quote:Ps. Now is your turn to rate me negatively. Why? Because I don't agree with your point of view. So come on.

This combatitive postscript is the only reason I'm considering rating you down.
Without doing a lot of research on the language itself (and having never coded a verb of it myself), the question comes to mind: why does any major IT company (or any company, for that matter) introduce a new product?

There's no simple black-and-white answer, but here's my crack at it:

- to stay ahead of the competition
- to reduce the R&D time for its own products
- to (indirectly or directly) create employment (teachers, programmers, book authors, etc)

I don't personally think any language is better or worse than other languages, but rather take into consideration their suitability for their intended use.

Given the language-creator's track-record and ethics, I'd be hard-pressed to adopt it myself. But that's my personal preference, and not necessarily that of the greater programmer body.
Who cares about programs written? If you're really going to be cynical about it, how about a more practical metric?

indeed.com, for MN:
c++: 881 job listings.
.NET: 1718 job listings.

And just throw my agreement with the other fine posters describing the bevy of problems with C++ and knowledge of C#.
I don't see what the big deal is with people not liking C#.
C# is just as useful at specific tasks as C++ is at others.
http://www.99-bottles-of-beer.net/
There are some much worse languages to program in than C#.
If you are a C++ developer and you come across the situation where you need to use C# it shouldn't take you very long to figure it out. If it does then maybe you should learn to program and not just how to write C++ there is a difference.
There is no harm in getting to grips with using several different programming languages and it can do wonders on your CV.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Who cares about programs written? If you're really going to be cynical about it, how about a more practical metric?

indeed.com, for MN:
c++: 881 job listings.
.NET: 1718 job listings.

And just throw my agreement with the other fine posters describing the bevy of problems with C++ and knowledge of C#.

It might be fairer to compare c++ to c# instead of .net

I ran the search (without specifing a state)

c++ - 56,118
c# - 34,047

Anyway its a bit stupid to be closed minded about a language like the OP obviously is. I learned Python on starting current job (having previously been working in c++) and its awesome, I love it!
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Well, it's been a fun flamewar. r1tual, you should try spending more time with your mind open and your mouth shut. You might learn something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement