SWE vs CS

Started by
3 comments, last by silentmonk 17 years, 3 months ago
I want to know what you think is the difference between Software Engineering degree and Computer Science in term of job prospects and academia prospects. Some Universities provide MS & PhD in Software Engineering also If I want to stay in the academia and do PhD later on Computer Science can I switch from my Software Engineering MS to Computer Science PhD program ? I do have a BS in Computer Science Please let me know what you think
"If you can''t explain something simply, you don''t know enough about it."- Albert Einstein
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by silentmonk
I want to know what you think is the difference between Software Engineering degree and Computer Science in term of job prospects and academia prospects.

Some Universities provide MS & PhD in Software Engineering also
If I want to stay in the academia and do PhD later on Computer Science can I switch from my Software Engineering MS to Computer Science PhD program ?
I do have a BS in Computer Science

Please let me know what you think

Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly, but if you have a BS in Computer Science already, why don't you head up for the job market or grad school ? Pursuing another BS in such a closely related field would be a huge waste of time.

[Edited by - jfclavette on January 21, 2007 2:14:49 PM]
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
I have a BS in Computer Science and currently in MS program in Software Engineering
Can I get into a PhD program in Computer Science ?
"If you can''t explain something simply, you don''t know enough about it."- Albert Einstein
Surely you can. The two fields are very similar. During your MS program, just make sure that you take courses and do research in the areas of CS that you want to pursue for your PhD. If your university offers a Masters with Thesis option, take that instead of a purely class-based MS.
h20, member of WFG 0 A.D.
Thanks
We have Thesis option only MS
My first semester was all CS courses and hopefully after I finish this semester with the Software Engineering courses and over with the comps, I will be back to doing CS research and courses again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement