Student status

Started by
23 comments, last by spur4444 16 years, 10 months ago
Yes, you can still join. Though be warned that it's not especially active. Yours is the first post in, what, a month? Though I'm sure that if you ask a question you'll get an answer within a day or two. We seem to have some pretty dedicated answer-ers!
Advertisement
We should put a message somewhere that newcomers are always welcome as this seems to be the most frequently asked question on this board.
Quote:Original post by Ezbez
Yes, you can still join. Though be warned that it's not especially active. Yours is the first post in, what, a month? Though I'm sure that if you ask a question you'll get an answer within a day or two. We seem to have some pretty dedicated answer-ers!

Yeah, our mentors are active--it's the students that are lazy [smile]. I've been treading slowly through chapter 2. The problem with this book--if you can call it a problem, that is--is that it's almost impossible to read when you're not in front of a computer. The frequency of exercises is staggering!

Quote:Original post by SamLowry
We should put a message somewhere that newcomers are always welcome as this seems to be the most frequently asked question on this board.

I edited the Forum FAQ, and modified the Start Here thread as well.

Quote:Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Quote:Original post by Ezbez

Yeah, our mentors are active--it's the students that are lazy [smile]. I've been treading slowly through chapter 2. The problem with this book--if you can call it a problem, that is--is that it's almost impossible to read when you're not in front of a computer. The frequency of exercises is staggering!

Agreed. And unfortunately for me, I find reading from a computer not as easy as reading from a book. There's too many darn distractions on a computer! I'm sure others feel the same way as me. OTOH, the exercises really are fantastic. They fit darn near perfectly with the ability of the student when they reach them.

I really should get back to work on this, but C++ is addicting. I can quit anytime I want! Really!
I began working through SICP last week and now I'm very happy to have found this discussion group! I only have about an hour a day for this, so the progress isn't very fast - especially considering that I solve all exercises in Common Lisp. My progress is copiously documented here:

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/category/programming/lisp/sicp/

I'll be sure to check this forum from time to time for clarifications.
Eli Benderskyhttp://www.geocities.com/spur4444/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement