3d World Editor Tool

Started by
6 comments, last by soconne 17 years, 2 months ago
I may be in the completely wrong forum for this, if I am, by all means move this thread, and accept my appologies. Over the summer, myself and two friends are planning on creating a simple 3d RPG. I am a programmer, and one friend is an art student who can make 3D models. Our third friend is going to be our level designer. We are looking for a good tool to create 3D terrain/worlds (ones that can be used in directX). After doing some searching on the internet, we found this. http://www.freeworld3d.org/ It looks like a good tool. It sounds like it is easy enough to use (although some learning curve is to be expected). Has anyone used Freeworld, and if so what were your thoughts on it. Has anyone used anything else for designing 3D maps that they thought was better? A lot of people have said to "write your own" but, we only have about 3 months before returning to school, and I am the only programmer, so I would much rather use a pre-existing tool. What we are looking for is something easy to use for someone who DOESN'T program, that can create decent 3D maps which can be imported into a directX game. Thanks in advance for any recommendations, or opinions about Freeworld. David Thompson
Advertisement
Sounds pretty good for 30 bucks. Do they have code samples for displaying their data in a DirectX program (that would speed up your project..) 3 months isnt much time and you would probably spend alot of it just getting your own homegrown editor working. Its just a matter of what form all their non standard data (triggers etc..) is and whether they help you by having import code to shortcut your engine implimentation (though that shouldnt be too bad since the .X standard was designed for extensions and thus its more a matter of how good the Freeworld3D documentation is).
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
One of the main reasons I bring this question before Gamedev, is because Freeworld does NOT export to .X files... However, after reading the forums on their page (and nearly every other post is someone asking "how do I export to .X or .3ds) there DOES appear to be a way to get the models to convert with only a LITTLE bit of hassle.

I believe they can export in an XML, or some ASCII format, but apparently its not too hard to convert that file using an additional program...

I don't know, the tools look decent, but exporting seems like it might be a bit of a hassle, thats why I was asking if there was something better. $30 is a pretty good price I'd say, I'm not worried about losing that, but instead the time invested in learning their software.

I don't think there is much in terms of code samples on their website. This may also be a bad sign.

Thank you for the reply.
David Thompson
Hi,

I'm the author of Freeworld3D. You can currently export the terrain to the Wavefront OBJ format and from there you can convert that into the .X format pretty easily through either 3dsmax, Maya, Milkshape or almost any other 3d modeling app.
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
Quote:Original post by soconne
Hi,

I'm the author of Freeworld3D. You can currently export the terrain to the Wavefront OBJ format and from there you can convert that into the .X format pretty easily through either 3dsmax, Maya, Milkshape or almost any other 3d modeling app.

You may want to change your website which states :

NEW in Freeworld3D 2.0 Ogre3D, DirectX, Blitz3D, AC3D Support

When I read that, I assumed DirectX = .X format.
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact
Quote:Original post by wodinoneeye

You may want to change your website which states :

NEW in Freeworld3D 2.0 Ogre3D, DirectX, Blitz3D, AC3D Support

When I read that, I assumed DirectX = .X format.

Well that IS what it means. Freeworld3D can import DirectX .X models.
This post is directed at soconne ( sorry for the slight hi-jack ).

Are there any plans for plugins that allow custom exportation of 'worlds', that is currently the only thing holding me back from purchasing freeworld. By the way, great work, it's a nice tool.
Well Freeworld3D will export all world data to an easy to read XML or ASCII file. Parsing it is very straightforward. If you download the demo, there is a sample exported project in the Documentation folder.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement