Using camera on WM 5.0

Started by
1 comment, last by g0nzo 17 years, 2 months ago
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to have some low-level access to a camera on WM 5.0 devices? I need access to a video stream - I don't want to save it to a file, I just need to have access to a current frame. There's a Camera API in WM 5.0, but it doesn't allow that. Maybe it's possible with mobile version of DirectShow (if there is one)? I could probably achieve something similar by taking still photos to a file and read them from a file to memory, but I guess I could measure its performance in seconds per frame. BTW. I'm trying to create a camera based tracker library, so it would return dx and dy (position change) values using camera as an input device. It works fine on desktop pc as there's OpenCV library that takes care of almost everything, but the whole idea was to have it working on mobile devices. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Advertisement
ARToolkitPlus doing it and more - complete 3d registration, but with markers. IIRC they are using DirectShow for WinMobiles. As you seems don't need complete 3d registration of the scene, and only 2d frame movement detection you don't even need ARToolkit/ARToolkitPlus. Fast Fourier transform with cross-power specter probably should be enough for you. I tested it with Symbian OS Nokia 6600 - it have 1-3 pixel precision for camera frame 160x120 downsampled to 40x30.
Thanks!

This is amazing, they actually managed to do tracking and 3D rendering on device almost exactly the same as mine (WM 5.0, 200 MHz processor) at 12fps.

Unfortunately they haven't released DSVideoCE package responsible for capturing camera video stream yet and they use their own fixed-point math library (not sure if it's publicly available).

At least now I know it's possible :)

[Edited by - g0nzo on February 21, 2007 2:08:47 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement