Quick Question about DVD Game

Started by
4 comments, last by johnperry9 17 years, 2 months ago
I am going to school for Game Art and Design, well I actually start in 3 weeks, I am excited, but anyways, I want to try to make an easy game. I have experience using photoshop, and some in encore and after effects, but I am looking to make a simple menu based dvd game kinda like the dvd game, "deal or no deal" except in mine people would pick a random card instead of a suitcase and it would have the text or amount, or graphic or whatever. My question however for all you awesome guru's is how to do I set it up in encore to randomly place the cards, or rather the value behind the card. For instance, say there is 20 cards across the screen. I don't want the values on the cards to always be in the same place otherwise it wouldn't be fun. I know it can be done because of the deal or no deal game, they change, where everytime there is a different value. All the backs to the cards will look the same so that won't matter, but when the screen fades and the "other side" of the card pops up with a value, that is where I am confused. Thanks so much for all your help.
Advertisement
Does anyone know how I might do this, I need your help. Thanks so much.
help, oh please help, lol.
I suspect that noone here actually has experience with doing this, it's not something I've seen come up in the forums before. You may be able to find better resources for this particular question elsewhere, although I'm not actually sure if there are any online communities or resources specifically covering the subject.

I can confirm for you that DVDs can be authored with some (very basic) programming included, but I'm afraid I have no idea of the specifics and havn't been able to turn much up from a quick Google except for the fact that Macromedia Director seems to be capable of authoring interactive DVDs if you have access to it.

Sorry I couldn't be of any help, but I thought you'd at least appreciate a response.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Do you actually want to make a game that can be played on a DVD player, or do you just want to make a game in that 'style' that runs on PC or whatever?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Thanks guys for the responses, I was starting to get scared that nobody liked me, lol. No, I am just looking for the most basic and simple thing where it plays on your tv through your dvd player, just like a normal dvd menu, where the cards are the buttons(like on a regular dvd where it would say "play movie") those kinds of buttons but instead of playing a movie it will bring up a random graphic, text, or something like that. The only reason I am looking for "random", I wouldn't want someone just keep clicking on the top left corner if they found out that was the "winner" card or something like that. I am just trying to figure out by using encore or something like that, how to, when someone selects the button, return a random graphic, or even if all I could do was to return a random line of text or something like that, that would be fine. Thanks guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement