HWND hWnd

Started by
10 comments, last by Xai 17 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by gharen2
Quote:Original post by Koobazaur
From the sound of it, it seems like you do not understand how WIN32 API works. I would highly recommend you learn the basics before using another library that relies on it (like DirectX).

I don't have any Win32 tutorials on me, but MSDN is a great resource for all your Win32 (and even DX) needs.

I disagree, you don't need to know a lot about the win32 api to use directx. As degra said, you usually just create a window at the start and destroy it at the end, and there's a gazillion tutorials online showing how to do just that.

i think koobazaur is right, but to be honest you've got a point in that there isn't too much to 'get', as far as the basics go. stuff like drawing sprites/text through GDI to screen isn't important, as long as messaging and window creation is understood.

GROUDON I advise you to look into HWND a little more and understand what it's used for. You won't need to touch it much, but appreciation of the window creation and message handling systems are needed before going onto doing API programming.
Advertisement
all windows programmers should at least learn what a WinMain and a WndProc do, how they interact with the OS, and how SendMessage and PostMessage work. Because every other language and windowing system on top of the OS (.NET, etc) still interacts through that system. Beyond those basics, almost nothing else is needed by everyone (although most people could stand to learn some more, depending on their needs ... such as WinSock, or device contexts, etc).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement