In doubt. XNA?

Started by
5 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 1 month ago
Currently I'm programming happily on my Mac using Cocoa, C++, and OpenGL. Porting my stuff to Windows or Linux requires only minimal effort. But I've been more and more attracted to XNA. I've installed it on my desktop computer already, and it seems very interesting. But now I really don't know what to do. On one side, I take my Mac everywhere, like school. My PC is stationary and is at home. That means I can't program XNA on my main platform, and not when I'm at school (which can be compensated by installing it there). Also I'm pretty comfortable with OpenGL and the directness of C++ and the sweet Cocoa API. But on the other side, XNA is so nice, and I fell in love with C# some time ago (yes, I've been cheating on C# by going Cocoa :P). XNA Studio Express is such a nice product and it all just seems to 'just work'. And the possibility of maybe running my game on a 360 is so cool! What do you think I should do?
Advertisement
Mono?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Mono?

Mono.Xna
Hell yeah even VB runs on linux via mono now so the only thing holding us mac owners back is directx!
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Mono.Xna is slowly making progress. I'm supposed to be making sure it's still OS X-compatible, but I haven't had much time at all with schoolwork. [crying] Rob Loach is largely in charge, so send him a PM and ask him if any Mac users have complained about it being non-functional yet.

So I have no real idea if it works on OS X, but the Tao library it's based on certainly does (I intend to write several tutorials on getting Tao applications nicely packaged under OS X one of these days). Consider AgateLib, another C# library I contributed to and ensured was functional on Mac OS X. IMHO, it offers the same newbie benefits as XNA, minus the 360 compatibility. I think Axiom also works, but it's generally a wrapper over Ogre in my experience.

Finally, you can use Cocoa from C# using the b-e-e-autiful CocoaSharp library.

Edit: Kids, you too can become a GDNet moderator without understanding HTML.

[Edited by - Ravuya on March 6, 2007 11:31:27 PM]
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Mono.Xna is slowly making progress. I'm supposed to be making sure it's still OS X-compatible, but I haven't had much time at all with schoolwork. [crying] Rob Loach is largely in charge, so send him a PM and ask him if any Mac users have complained about it being non-functional yet.

So I have no real idea if it works on OS X, but the Tao library it's based on certainly does (I intend to write several tutorials on getting Tao applications nicely packaged under OS X one of these days). Consider AgateLib, another C# library I contributed to and ensured was functional on Mac OS X. IMHO, it offers the same newbie benefits as XNA, minus the 360 compatibility. I think Axiom also works, but it's generally a wrapper over Ogre in my experience.

Finally, you can use Cocoa from C# using the b-e-e-autiful CocoaSharp library.

Fixed.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I figured I wrote that entry entirely too fast.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement