Seminar on Windows Services

Started by
6 comments, last by wodinoneeye 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi all! For my 2nd assignment for my C++ module at my Uni, I have to compose a seminar followed by a practical session for the rest of my classmates on Windows Services. The seminar, I'm fine with, but the practical could pose a problem and could use some suggestions or advice. Basically the practical session has to be hosted in one of the Uni's computer labs, in which we students have no administrative privileges at all. This means that if I get everyone to write a simple service, they will not be able to run or even test it as we do not have the privileges required to register a Windows Service or even trigger their events. Can anyone think of anything I can get the class to do as a practical that is relevant to Windows Services? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Daed. p.s. I'm currently hoping everyone in the class has laptops
Advertisement
Maybe try something involving services provided by services, for example, WMI.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Since the instructors told you to do this project I would go to the instuctor and have the instructor get access for the class to add services to the machines you will be working on.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by TheTroll
Since the instructors told you to do this project I would go to the instuctor and have the instructor get access for the class to add services to the machines you will be working on.

theTroll

I'm on his course and i can tell you this is no easy task. The IT Services at uni are bollox at best. [sad]
That is why you have the instructor do it. If the instuructor gives the assignment then the instructor has to make sure you can complete your assignment. And it is acctually really easy for the IT folks to give services permissions for the class.

theTroll
That is why you have the instructor do it. If the instuructor gives the assignment then the instructor has to make sure you can complete your assignment. And it is acctually really easy for the IT folks to give services permissions for the class.

theTroll

Well, what our instructor has done is provided us all with a list of possible topics on developing applications using C++/CLI. Windows Services is just the one I chose. I've spoken to him about it, and unless I can come up with some form of practical for the class, I will have to do another topic (but I don't like the look of the others :S)

The problem is with the IT services, they are all so stuck up. You can't help but get the feeling they aren't actually there to help.

theTroll

The problem is not the complexity of the task, but the will to do it.
Cannot some outside computers be brought in to place the Services upon at proper times (demo and to test students sample Apps...)??

If you can't get the permissions fron the IT, it will be limited to compiling samples without running them otherwise.
--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement