Best Browser-Based Text MMORPG Engine

Started by
5 comments, last by wpdesign 17 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to find a good engine to work on a game design I had in mind, but I'm having a problem finding something that fits the specifications I need. I'm creating a superhero MMORPG and alot of the engines end up being things where they are purely fantasy based and are far from able to be converted...pretty much, it would be easier to start from scratch, which I'm not sure I want to put my time into just yet. Free or commercial, its no difference. As long as I am able to modify the game mostly through the admin backend (although I can do changes to html and php when necessary) and its able to be changed easily to follow this design idea, I'd be happy. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Text MMORPGs are more commonly known as "Muds" or MUDs. That should help you in your search, as there are a lot of freely available mud servers. However, the browser based part will probably be a lot harder. Muds are traditionally done through terminals or telnet protocols. There are Browser Based ways to access telnet, but those are a little less common.
william bubel
See, I'm looking at things like how they do PimpWarz, Mafia, Dragon's Kingdom, etc. AP based game engines. I looked into MUDs and while they may also work with what I'm looking into, I'd rather stick with a PHP version. Thanks though.
Legend of the Green dragon is a browser based 'mmorpg', and it's open sourced. It runs on PHP I believe. Check it out at www.lotgd.net If I read your posts right, it might be a good starting off point for what you are after.
I've looked into it but it seems to be a little too...quest based. I'm looking for something that is mainly player vs player or player vs AI. I've been fooling around with the RPG Inferno engine for vBulletin but Im not so sure it will do what I need.
Quote:Original post by wpdesign
I've looked into it but it seems to be a little too...quest based. I'm looking for something that is mainly player vs player or player vs AI. I've been fooling around with the RPG Inferno engine for vBulletin but Im not so sure it will do what I need.
That's why the source code is there. Keep the parts you like, and change the stuff you don't. You aren't going to find an engine with your game in mind, you are going to have to do lots of work to convert any codebase you find.

Im still working with RPG Inferno off of vBulletin and getting much more around what I need, but Im still looking.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement