Super Nintendo Games

Started by
7 comments, last by jbadams 17 years, 1 month ago
I've been wondering approximately how long would it take to create a game like what the Super Nintendo brought to us. Another question that I have is would it be possible to code a game that had graphics like Super Nintendo in C++ ? Also, would it be possible to create one entirely by yourself? Thanks !!!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by cskaj
I've been wondering approximately how long would it take to create a game like what the Super Nintendo brought to us.

depends on what game and your skill

Another question that I have is would it be possible to code a game that had graphics like Super Nintendo in C++ ?

yes, see SDL

Also, would it be possible to create one entirely by yourself?

yes

also unless your very proficient with c++ python/pygame might be a better option

Moving to For Beginners.
Actually, when you think about it the super nintendo's only a piece of hardware. Computers today are easily capable of performing any of the programming tasks that the SNES was designed to do, but it is more a question of graphics and content. If you're capable of creating the game art and all the content that a video game requires, you are a lot closer than a lot of people who visit these forums start with when trying solo projects.
Quote:Original post by EtnuBwahaha. I would've shot the guy in the balls.
Yeah, well I was just wondering. Not that I'm able to do all that or not I just wanted to know that way incase I set that as one of my goals that I would know it were possible to complete. Thanks !!!

On another note if I were to sit down and wanted to put together and super nintendo type game what programs in all would I need to get the job all the way done to the end where I'm playing the game I created ???

(( this is including graphics programs, coding programs, and what not. ))
1.) Pick your poison of coding languages - like was said earlier, unless you're good with C++, you're best bet is to learn Python.

2.) IDE for your chosen language - for C++, MSVC++ is a common favorite, as well as Dev-C++. For Python, the default IDE is perfect.

3.) Pick a graphics library - SDL is common favorite, though I personally use Allegro.

4.) Install your library to work with your chosen IDE - instructions for installation should either be included with your download or on the site itself.

5.) Find a beginner's tutorial for your library and start small
hereticprophecy has some good suggestions. Also, if you are looking for art tools, I'd recommend either Paint Shop Pro, Cosmigo Promotion, or GIMP.
Quote:Original post by morx
hereticprophecy has some good suggestions. Also, if you are looking for art tools, I'd recommend either Paint Shop Pro, Cosmigo Promotion, or GIMP.

Almost forgot about that! Paint.NET is another good tool for making sprites and backgrounds.
You could make a SNES-quality game using Game Maker, along with any graphics program (and optionally audio program) of your choice if you wanted.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement