need to learn shaders

Started by
3 comments, last by chosendl 17 years, 1 month ago
Hi there, have been reading a little bit about shaders and am really interested in trying it our. I believe shaders can be truly powerful and i have a knack for maths and mind-twisting programing. However whenever i try to learn something new like this, i take a long time to find the right information.(the right information being a complete step by step walkthrough on how to code some examples) Could anyone help me out here?
Advertisement
Well, I would recommend starting with the
CG Tutorial

Use this as a starting point, it really helped me a lot warming up. You can run CG shaders using both OGL and DX.

From there... well I don't know, probably you would like to read this HLSL tutorial

or the GLSL orange book.
Thanx for the reply, but i am not interested in buying any learning material (god bless google and all you gd.net guys!)

I first need to know how to get started, just a simple little most basic possible example of a shader and how exactly would i write, what do i need to write it (is some kind of ide nessacary) and how to implement it into my vb.net games?

Thanks again, sorry if im being fussy!
The DX SDK contains a number of samples involving shaders. I'm not sure, but there may even be an HLSL tutorial in the SDK.

Either way, googling for HLSL tutorial will certainly return a lot of good results, I'm not too sure what you're expecting from us here.

In addition to all that, you never mention which platform you're using (Managed DirectX, Unamanged DirectX 9, or maybe even Direct3D10?). That leaves even less room for us to help you.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
managed directx 9 vb.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement