Question to hobbyists game developers...

Started by
25 comments, last by spaceJockey123 17 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Vampyre_Dark
Why are people so quick here to predict failure for people?
Experience? [smile]

But if your main goal is to learn and to enjoy yourself, rather than to make a completed or successful or popular game, it's very hard for any project to be a failure.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Excors
Experience? [smile]
That's BS. People project their own too high standards onto everyone, and change the end result that was in the original post. OP said he was doing it for fun, not trying to make a professional game. But somehow it turns into him trying to put out a professional, polished release.

There is enough stuff out there to help him slap together a sloppy 1 level demo in no time. Than he can work on refining it as his skills improve.

Its only because the OP said 'as good as crash bandicoot', he got all the remarks of how much work is required to get to that level. Say a third party engine was farmed in, and all the playability,graphics,audio,physics, control was matched to the level of crash bandicoot. Then i'd bet because it was a farmed in engine, the framerate would be a problem, 'if it were running the same platform as the original'.

This isn't to critise anyone trying to do a platform game, just to let them know what goes into making a professional quality product.
Experience? [smile]
That's BS. People project their own too high standards onto everyone, and change the end result that was in the original post. OP said he was doing it for fun, not trying to make a professional game. But somehow it turns into him trying to put out a professional, polished release.

There is enough stuff out there to help him slap together a sloppy 1 level demo in no time. Than he can work on refining it as his skills improve.

Yay selective quoting! You say Excors is wrong, and then you restate exactly what he said in the part you didn't quote:
But if your main goal is to learn and to enjoy yourself, rather than to make a completed or successful or popular game, it's very hard for any project to be a failure.

I depends on what you want: The original poster said
Quote:I'm interested in making games as a hobby for my own satisfaction as well as making me look smart on my CV.

If someone came to me with an exact duplicate of Crash Bandicoot, level one, having done all the art and programming themselves in "a few months", then I'd hire them pretty much based on that alone.

More likely though, if they tried to do that, they would have a messy, buggy, ugly game with collision, control and camera problems. Sure, put it on your CV, just don't show it to anyone.

I hired someone once, greatly because of their demo game. It was just a simple 2D falling blocks game, but it was polished, bug free and all original code and graphics. It's a lot more impressive that "move a stock character around a world using Torque".

You'll get a lot more satisfaction from making an original game, even a super simple one, than from making a crappy copy of a ten year old Playstation game.
Vampyre_Dark: Sorry, not sure if I was misinterpreted, but I meant the people here have experience of people trying to make ambitious games and very often 'failing' in the sense of never getting anywhere near completing it (because it's always far harder that it seems, especially if it's an MMORPG), hence the common recommendations (not just in this thread) to do something simpler which is more likely to ever get finished.

I didn't mean the original poster lacks the necessary experience, which is probably what it sounded like. I believe the obstacles to completion are usually time and manpower and motivation, and all of those are helped by experience (since you can work faster, do a wider range of things yourself, and set realistic targets) - but if completion isn't the real goal, then those issues don't have much relevance, and a lack of experience just means you'll learn a lot more.
Quote:If someone came to me with an exact duplicate of Crash Bandicoot, level one, having done all the art and programming themselves in "a few months", then I'd hire them pretty much based on that alone.

More likely though, if they tried to do that, they would have a messy, buggy, ugly game with collision, control and camera problems. Sure, put it on your CV, just don't show it to anyone.

I hired someone once, greatly because of their demo game. It was just a simple 2D falling blocks game, but it was polished, bug free and all original code and graphics. It's a lot more impressive that "move a stock character around a world using Torque".

You'll get a lot more satisfaction from making an original game, even a super simple one, than from making a crappy copy of a ten year old Playstation game.

Seeing as you work in a games company and do the hiring I'll think seriously about this advice but let me just add that I'm not at all looking for a games development job but some other area in IT. I only decided to put 'making games' on my CV to show that I can make games even if it is at a basic level. Employers tend to ask what skills you have whether it's at a beginner or expert level right?

I'm at quite a respectable university but you'd be surprised how bad some of the CS students are at programming stuff - they forget everything! A CS student that can make games tends to stand out on campus and I just thought the same applied in the IT Sector, a way to recognize a good programmer other than what they got for their degree.

Finally, the reason I wanted to do a Crash Bandicoot style game is because the Crash series has great sentimental value to me. The first 3d platformer I owned and played was Crash Bandicoot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement