Online Football Manager

Started by
17 comments, last by emomast 17 years, 1 month ago
But in the real world there is no a Search page where every manager types what he is looking for, and then there are 50 players to chose from. There are scouts roaming the football fields (just check how many are there in a school tournament for example) and their decisions are used to find youth talents for example. For example Manchester United are having 14(!) scouts roaming the area of Manchester. Bayer Leverkusen are having its own scout-depot in Brazil and so on.

If you want to sign someone, at least one of your staff (or you yourself) had to be seen the player in action. In FM (or Total Manager or whatever) you just go to the search screen and sign someone you never heard or seen. Is this real to you?
Advertisement
Well it should not be such a big deal to alter that. Just make the skills of other playes not accessible for anyone but the manager of the team. And maybe an estimation of a skill is more what you are looking for. Like that you still have some information to make your line up with, but you dont see any numbers. You could use colored comlumns instead. And over time the estimated skill gets more and more accurate.
But that is not the main thing that bothers me about manager games. Its the intransparent engine, the results that seem to come out of nowhere. I think this should be the main objective if you want to program a manager game.
Actually this is one of my projects I have planned to do. I dunno how successfull it is going to be, but I am trying to program a whole simulation by itself. At least thats what I have in mind.
Anyhow, good luck with your project
cherio Woltan
I thought about making a thread for every player on the field and one thread for the ball. Depending on the position of the ball and other players, every player will make a decision what to do next. Sounds crazy, huh :-)
yap, because i dont see the need of that many threads here.
But I had just about the same ideas. However, I cut back on a lot of things, because it is highly unlikely that i will succeed. Therefore I cut back on the amount of players and their possibilities. I am focusing more on creating a real simulation, than a football engine ; )
Anyhow, if you have something to show, just private message me or keep me up to date.
Have fun
Cherio Woltan
I did something, more just to show the layout and get some feeling. But I am thinking about switching the frameworks, to benefit from some of the new technologies, that came since I begun.
Sounds like an excellent idea, provided that:

1. You don't design it more complicated that you are able to or prepared to implement

2. You don't go silly on technology (which you seem to be tending to)

Yes AJAX and JSF or whatever are very funky, but you really want something which
- Is going to work *well* for *everybody*
- Is going to be fairly quick to develop.

Much of the Java stuff requires either a very funky build environment, or a very large amount of boiler plate / red tape code. Neither is appealing.

This sounds like an ideal candidate for a "tick" based game. Such a game has all the game processing happening in "ticks" which happen at regular intervals. Such a thing would typically either use a server process which was continually running (but spends most of its time waiting) or a "Cron" job schedule.

Players should find it fun to play even if they only spend a few mins per day playing it - and the game should not *require* players to log on every day to play competitively (e.g. your team keeps playing games even if the manager is not there, the system selects players for you)

Mark
Quote:Original post by emomast
But in the real world there is no a Search page where every manager types what he is looking for, and then there are 50 players to chose from. There are scouts roaming the football fields (just check how many are there in a school tournament for example) and their decisions are used to find youth talents for example. For example Manchester United are having 14(!) scouts roaming the area of Manchester. Bayer Leverkusen are having its own scout-depot in Brazil and so on.

If you want to sign someone, at least one of your staff (or you yourself) had to be seen the player in action. In FM (or Total Manager or whatever) you just go to the search screen and sign someone you never heard or seen. Is this real to you?

The real world isn't designed to be fun. And I bet you that if real managers could get accurate numerical stats on their players, that is exactly what they'd use. The real world pays managers well to do this largely thankless task. You're not paying them, so why take away the fun in the name of realism?

It does not matter how many people and time is used in the reallife for a task. or are you asking your players to wait 30 Minutes befor each playing session to "simulate" driving to work?

If you want to use the scouts then dont remove the numbers but insteat give your players the option to hire scouts.

The number of scouts determits the number of players that are shown in the "to-hire"-sheets of players.

Maybe if they have 5 Scouts they get a table of 50 random players the next day. With a feature like this you limit huge sheets but luck is a little bit more involved and you have your scouts :)

just my opinion...
What do you mean by going silly on technology? You have to put the business logic somewhere, and I prefer doing it with Java. JSF/Ajax are used just to make things more "jazzy" :-) It is still stable and lot of people can play simultaneously.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement