Game Name same as Movie Name

Started by
18 comments, last by CandleJack 17 years ago
So I've been working on my next game, and I want to name it FireLight. The problem is, there is already a movie by that name: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119125/ The game has absolutely nothing to do with the movie in any way, the titles are the same by pure coincidence. My game probably won't receive much attention as it is, but I'd like to let people download it when I finish. Granted that is a while off until I do so, and the movie was a decade ago, but is there a possibility that I might get in some legal trouble? I'd like to stick with the name, as the story line is something I've been working on for a while. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
A product name is generally covered by Trademark protection but ONLY within the same industry. You can't name your burger bar McDonalds but you could have a software company by that name. Likewise the film name would be a trademark only within films... not games.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Problem #1: Risk Management.

Anybody can sue you for any reason. Even companies who do nothing wrong can be closed because of a lawsuit.

Ignoring the legality issue, you should ask yourself if you really want to make yourself that big of a target.

For a current major example, look at YouTube. When they started they were not a big target for copyright infringement. As they grew and acquired assets they became a bigger target. Viacom wouldn't have gone through with a major lawsuit because the company would have bankrupted itself. Once Google acquired YouTube, they were a sufficiently big target that Viacom knew they could sue and get money from them, so they went for the major lawsuit.

As a small target, you are most likely to get a C&D letter or other legal nastygram at first. They may ask you to sign a settlement admitting guilt and paying them some money. If you really made them mad they will actually file a lawsuit, costing you thousands of dollars up front, and potentially a small fortune over time.

Problem #2: Trademarks.

Assuming you want to take that risk, you must consider what the outcome would be if you were sued and if you decided to fight it and go through court, and the appeals process, and eventually get a "you are right" declaration of law.

One could argue that the film industry and game industry are both part of the entertainment industry. One could argue that your use dilutes their mark generally. One could argue that it causes confusion because somebody might expect it to be a game based on the movie. One could argue that your game is an attempt to defame their movie. There are many other arguments that could be used, but I hope that is enough to show you it is not a good chance of surviving a lawsuit.

The smartest route is to pick a different name now, while it is easy.
I wouldn't worry about it unless there are enough similarities to the movie in terms of plot, etc., that it will sufficiently confuse the public. Even within the same industry, or related industries, people use the same names regularly.

On the Line (2001)
On the Line (1970)

Totally different movies.

The Thin Blue Line <-- Police TV show
The Thin Blue Line (1988) <-- Murder mystery

Dog (2001)
Dog (2002)
Dog (2006)

Now, if it was something that is very well known and has become emblematic in some way--like "Star Wars" or something--then my answer might be different. I don't think you have to be worried about being sued by the makers of an unheard of film that has nothing in common with your game.
Quote:Original post by Bovine13
So I've been working on my next game, and I want to name it FireLight. The problem is, there is already a movie by that name:
...is a while off until I do so, and the movie was a decade ago, but is there a possibility that I might get in some legal trouble? I'd like to stick with the name, as the story line is something I've been working on for a while.

What does your lawyer say?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

There are four other movies called "Firelight" on IMDB.

Despite what some appear to think, calling a movie "Firelight" does not magically grant you a trademark on the name "Firelight". Searching the trademark database reveals several trademarks for "Firelight", but none are associated with a movie.

smitty1276 uses Star Wars as an example of a name you shouldn't use. That makes sense because Star Wars is (1) trademarked and (2) used on many games. LucasArts would firstly have a legal right to sue you for using their trademark, and secondly a reasonably good chance of showing that your use of the mark was likely to cause confusion.

LucasArts even have a Star Wars trademark (reg. no. 2591820) specifically covering towels and bed linen.

Also, YouTube isn't being sued for violating trademark law.
Quote:Original post by Nathan Baum
Despite what some appear to think, calling a movie "Firelight" does not magically grant you a trademark on the name "Firelight".

Despite what some appear to think, certain minimal trademark protection comes into effect immediately when first used in commerce. Several protections are granted in this way and are enforced with international treaties.

Quote:Searching the trademark database reveals several trademarks for "Firelight", but none are associated with a movie.

Governmental registration is not a requirement to have trademark protections.

Trademark is a complex area of law, bound with international treaties that are in constant flux. Even lawyers have trouble navigating it.

Quote:Original post by frob
Trademark is a complex area of law, bound with international treaties that are in constant flux. Even lawyers have trouble navigating it.

Exactly. So, to repeat, my question to the OP is: What does your lawyer tell you?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Quote:Original post by tsloper
What does your lawyer tell you?

I don't have a lawyer, and as I'm a college student, I can't afford one.

If I were to change it to "FireLight: The [enter something here]", like "FireLight: The Savior" (that's just an example). Would I be in any possible trouble still?
Quote:Original post by Bovine13
I don't have a lawyer, and as I'm a college student, I can't afford one.

If you can't afford a $150 or so lawyer visit, then how do you think you will fare when you get hit with a lawsuit?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement