RTS development resources

Started by
0 comments, last by Emmanuel Deloget 17 years, 1 month ago
Hello, We've got a little team for working on a simple, multiplayer, 3D real-time-strategy game. We don't have all too much experience between us, but we know the basics. I was just wondering if anybody could recommend some RTS-specific guides, articles, books, etc. I've only managed to find a couple books dedicated to RTS games that look promising, but I figure I'm probably not trying hard enough. Please do post any recommendations. Thanks!
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by shleepy
Hello,

We've got a little team for working on a simple, multiplayer, 3D real-time-strategy game. We don't have all too much experience between us, but we know the basics. I was just wondering if anybody could recommend some RTS-specific guides, articles, books, etc. I've only managed to find a couple books dedicated to RTS games that look promising, but I figure I'm probably not trying hard enough. Please do post any recommendations. Thanks!

If you speak about that one, FORGET IT IMMEDIATELY.

And in fact, you can forget about any game programming book that promise to teach you how to build a specific kind of game using a specific API. But this one, in particular, is written by someone whose programming skills are really questionable (if you ever read that, no offense intended Mickey - although I admit it's a bit rude). Not to mention that it's out of date, and contain little information about the really important things.

This one is not very good either. The code is uninspired, and while it contains more information than the prvious one, it's still plagued with a serious diseases:
1) it considers that code is more important than explaination
2) as a consequence, it don't explains the concepts very well - it just teach techniques
3) and of course, it somewhat locks you in the author vision of the problem.

What I would do if I were you is to divide my projects into different areas (graphics rendering, IA, sound, input), see what kind of feature/algorithm are needed in each of these areas (foe example, the AI: pathfinding, computer-generated decisions, scripting and so on) and search for information on the intarweb about these. You'll find that gamasutra.com has published many very interestng articles about different parts of RTSs and that a single book can't contain all the information you want.

Regards,

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement