cRPG Combat - Tactics or not?

Started by
22 comments, last by stenny 17 years ago
I wasn't really thinking about the classic console RPG battle system when I posted that, so in that context you're right. I was thinking more along the lines of an adventure game, like a more interactive Zelda: Link to the Past. Or, to reference a game that has actually used this, a 2d God of War.

If you wanted to use a modified system with a reaction combat element, you could allow button combinations used in battle instead of menu systems. To use an example:

S - Physical Action
A - Last Stance
D - Next Stance

W - Use Spell
Q - Last Spell
E - Next Spell

X - Use Item
Z - Last Item
C - Next Item

Arrow Keys - Movement

From these controls, you can have a system that has dodge and guard actions by having the aforementioned pop up alert the player to move out of the way (Press Left or Right on the Arrow Keys), to counter the player could press the physical action button after dodging (For additional depth, depending on the stance the character is in, a different attack can be issued by the counter).

This would take some additional work over the traditional cRPG battle system, but it would mix it up a little. If I was going to go this far, I'd rule out the cut away battle system and have it a full blown adventure game with some traditional RPG elements thrown in, but that's just more work. That's just my two cents.
Advertisement
Quote:Could go into any game, really, if you're willing to take the time to code it.
(And I either missed this in the previous posts, or I'm just spacing it, but is this a 2d or 3d game? You said it was tile based, but you also said its using height in the maps as well. So is it drawing anything from 3d games, or is it strictly 2d?)

2D. But there is height implented in the maps. I.e., you can't just through a linear path in a mountain area, no, you can climb ladders, stairs, and stand almost anywhere.

Quote:This feature is present in Super Mario RPG. We considered putting it into our game too, but unfortunately its not very palatable with a real-time system, because when an enemy is attacking the player could very well be selecting an item in a menu, and we thought that trying to force the player to do menu selection and "reactions" was a little too much. Works great for a turn-based system though.

I thought at first this was a bit kiddy, but now I'm more into it. Not just a single miss/hit factor, but let the player have more influence on it. I'm not sure if this wouldn't get boring though, I should add a random factor in the keys to press or moves to make.

Quote:This would take some additional work over the traditional cRPG battle system, but it would mix it up a little. If I was going to go this far, I'd rule out the cut away battle system and have it a full blown adventure game with some traditional RPG elements thrown in, but that's just more work. That's just my two cents.

Well I dó want to stay with the RPG genre, so I'm gonna add a battle mode. The idea is just to have the battle mode/screen/state on the same map as you walk. This adds some more originality AND people don't go crazy of the screen flashing white when entering a battle.

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel
One game that pulled off the menu systems well was Chrono Trigger. This was due, in part, to no cut away when you go into a battle, and a range system, where attacks hit in a area, so anyone inside that area was struck. This allowed for strategy inside a cRPG, which is actually pretty rare.

Use an emulator just to play with the combat system (you can only have the emulator on your pc for 24 hours if you don't own the game, so make good use of the time.)
I know the game. One of the games a cRPG designer should've played anywayz, in my opinion. As I've previously mentioned, Chrono Trigger is sorta the way I wanted to go, but then with a more gridbased (16*16 tiles) movement and a turnbased system. Try combining games like Fire Emblem or Advance Wars with Chrono Trigger and you're on the right path.

-Stenny
What do I expect? A young man's quest to defeat an evil sorceror while discovering the truth of his origins. A plucky youngster attended by her brutish guardian. A powerful artifact which has been broken into a small number of artifactlets distributed around the world.What do I want? Fewer damn cliches. - Sneftel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement