Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus

Started by
12 comments, last by daviangel 17 years ago

Hold on..
How do I include winmm.lib? I can't find it in the "add reference" dialog.

By the way, the author said the beauty of COM or directX is that your directX, directX2...whatever should work in directX9, 10, 11 without changes if I remember correct haha. This doesn't seems to be the case.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ynkm169

I got the software illegally..well the local police rarely care, and everyone including university proffesors buy illegal copies. So I assume it's not illegal haha.

Just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean piracy is right.
----------------------------My site: www.sudoexec.net
Thanx for the help.

You mentioned winmm.lib because of the linker error __imp__mmioAscend...
I had no idea how to include it and where it is.
I googled winmm.lib and found out winmm.lib is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET\Vc7\PlatformSDK\lib\winmm.lib on the following website:
<http://www.portaudio.com/docs/pa_tut_pc.html>
So I included it. Then the linker errors are reduced from 11 to 5.
I tried to include winmm.lib dsound.lib ddraw.lib dinput.lib dinput8.lib all and the next thing I knew I was playing the game!

As the author says, rookie programmers should put DirectX SDK.LIB directory and .H directory in the search path so that when they fail to compile they won't email the author about it. I havn't figure out how to do it yet, but the idea is the same as including the libs manually one by one

Now I see the beauty of COM. No previous DirectX needed, my new DirectX9 (December 2006) is perfectly fine.

Sry if my pirate software story affended you, I won't joke about again. It WAS just so common in my hometown, everyone buys it. There was actually a whole street dedicated to pirate softwares right in front of a famous university. Who cares about it? government?
No. Even microsoft? No...
This will change.
Quote:Original post by ynkm169

Hold on..
How do I include winmm.lib? I can't find it in the "add reference" dialog.

By the way, the author said the beauty of COM or directX is that your directX, directX2...whatever should work in directX9, 10, 11 without changes if I remember correct haha. This doesn't seems to be the case.

The author is correct for the most part. A game you made yesterday in DX7 or today in DX8,DX9,etc will work in future versions of directx(barring Vista of course which fails to support DX5 not to mention most directsound,etc). That is one guarantee MS made when they created it and that's one reason they got developers to get aboard the directx train. MS doesn't guarantee to include older DirectX libs,help files etc to build older directx apps in the latest DX SDK. Actuallly every time MS releases a new SDK they drop older stuff to keep the SDK side down that's part of the reason you are seeing the problems you are but it looks like you already figured that out.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement