World's most livable cities

Started by
50 comments, last by Steadtler 16 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by dohtem
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Basically, this is a list of places where money can shield you from the riff-raff, even if the riff-raff is still there.

Exactly how I felt when I visited Hollywood. Down the street and around the corner from their prized "Hollywood Walk of Fame" and you'd swear you are in a different part of town.

Miami, FL is the same way. You have maybe a mile stretch that is "the Strip" in South Beach, and it extends maybe three streets deep from the beach, and just past that is a completely blighted, post-apocalyptic waste-land of a city

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
Miami, FL is the same way. You have maybe a mile stretch that is "the Strip" in South Beach, and it extends maybe three streets deep from the beach, and just past that is a completely blighted, post-apocalyptic waste-land of a city

I was driving around a section of town there, and there was literally nobody in sight.. like some sort of eerie ghost town. After a few minutes, a few guys appeared between some buildings and surrounded my car fast, so I sped off onto the nearest highway. It was really bizarre.

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

Quote:Original post by Salsa

I was driving around a section of town there, and there was literally nobody in sight.. like some sort of eerie ghost town. After a few minutes, a few guys appeared between some buildings and surrounded my car fast, so I sped off onto the nearest highway. It was really bizarre.

Consider yourself lucky that you visited Miami and don't have more holes and alot less blood.....
Lisbon is in the 43rd spot, ahead of New York in 44th. I love Lisbon, but I'm no traveler, so, I don't have much to compare against.
Quote:Original post by curtmax_0
Quote:Original post by Salsa

Consider yourself lucky that you visited Miami and don't have more holes and alot less blood.....

I consider myself doubly lucky for having not received any damage to my car while there.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

w00t for Toronto and Vancouver (more for Toronto :P)
Amsterdam at #13, whoopie.
I don't know if that's good for Amsterdam, or bad for the world.
I live in #15 (Toronto) and I have to say... wow the 14 cities ahead must be just amazing to live in considering I would count Toronto as near perfect. I've never been out to Vancouver but I'm heading out there for a conference in July so I can finally check it out, everybody that has been there tells me how awesome it is.
Quote:Original post by _goat
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Out of the Australian cities, I'd have ranked Melbourne (num. 17) higher than Sydney (num. 9) - however I am a native born Melburnian and so naturally biased (plus I've only spent considerable time living in Melbourne and Canberra). My general impression is that Sydney life is a bit more tightly strung than Melbourne, as well as being the most expensive city in Australia. I don't think they factored in the cost of living into the table; Sydney is wonderful if you can live on the bay but it costs an absolute fortune to do so.

Regarding Canberra (unranked, probably not considered) while it's not the most glamorous city to visit, I find Canberra to be a nice place to live. It's got the benefits of being somewhere between a town and a city combined with the perks of being the capital. It's nice to live in a place where it takes less than twenty minutes to drive into the city centre even from the outskirts rather than an hour and a half.

Let's put it this way - all Australian cities sit in the top 32. Can't complain.

I thought Melbourne used to hold the #1 a few years back, why'd we drop so far. :(
the future is just like the past, just later. - TANSTAAFL
Quote:Original post by Moe
that is only about a two hour drive

Wait, what?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement