Max simultaneous textures? How many typical?

Started by
12 comments, last by jollyjeffers 17 years ago
Quote:Original post by 3dnewbie
Just a question; if i want to use lots of different photos as textures, say 100 different photos (all in same scene) on different cubes, can i do this?

I don't see why not, just don't expect it to perform admirably with all of those texture changes. You might want to look into creating a texture atlas if the textures are fairly small (a texture atlas is just a way of combining several textures into one texture so you don't have to switch textures so many times when drawing stuff).
Advertisement
Just a question; if i want to use lots of different photos as textures, say 100 different photos (all in same scene) on different cubes, can i do this?
Yes, you could do that if you wanted. But that's a whole different issue than the one being discussed here [smile]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

ah, i'm sorry. i thought i probably misunderstood the question posed. I haven't done much with texturing yet, and seeing i want to use it later on in my project, where i have a scene of hundreds of objects, which i all want to have a photorealistic look, of which at least 100 preferably different photos, but i'll settle for 1 if i have to :-).

Mind you, how will the performance be ? There have been games like this as well right? Ofcourse, i could devise something that doesnt render those objects which are not in my frustum, which should save alot of fps already. Also, what does the poster mean? 16 Simultaneous textures means 16 Simultaneously (but can be different) photos right ?

But nevermind then ;-)
ah, i'm sorry. i thought i probably misunderstood the question posed. I haven't done much with texturing yet, and seeing i want to use it later on in my project, where i have a scene of hundreds of objects, which i all want to have a photorealistic look, of which at least 100 preferably different photos, but i'll settle for 1 if i have to :-).
The key phrase is 'simultaneous' - within reason there is no limit on how many textures you use in a single scene, but there are limits on how many you can use at any one time whilst rendering a single set of geometry.

In your case, it'd be having 100 textures and rendering 100 seperate objects - which is easy (the GPU only needs to know about 1 texture at any one point in time); in the context of this thread you'd be talking about rendering an object with 100 textures for just that single piece of geometry - which is not possible.

Mind you, how will the performance be ?
Far too difficult to tell, but it sounds like you could easily be bandwidth/fillrate limited.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement