Visual Studio Express C++ question

Started by
4 comments, last by Tom L 17 years ago
Hi not sure if this is the right place to post it... if its wrong i'm sorry~ a few questions I'm new to the visual studio express scene and c++ programming, hoping i can get some answers to my question 1)Under the new project tab theres CLR, Win32 and general and under each option theres even more option, i'm trying to do OOP with C++ so whichs best? 2)when i cre8 a class file or console, there are header, resources and source folders and in these folders there are different files, which is the one to edit or do i have to edit all of them? many thanks for the help
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by StaticWorld
Hi not sure if this is the right place to post it... if its wrong i'm sorry~

a few questions

I'm new to the visual studio express scene and c++ programming, hoping i can get some answers to my question

1)Under the new project tab theres CLR, Win32 and general and under each option theres even more option, i'm trying to do OOP with C++ so whichs best?

2)when i cre8 a class file or console, there are header, resources and source folders and in these folders there are different files, which is the one to edit or do i have to edit all of them?

many thanks for the help

1) Pick Win32, choose 'Win32 Console Application', the best thing to do is start an empty project

2) when you pick an empty project you wont have to deal with this,

you can add new hearder '.h' or code '.cpp' by clicking on File > New file > Visual C++, then choosing the file that you want

hope this helps

Tom
Quote:
1) Pick Win32, choose 'Win32 Console Application', the best thing to do is start an empty project

This is definitely true. However, for the sake of the OP, it should be noted that the "Empty Project" is unfortunately a bit non-obvious. After you name your project and choose its location (the first dialog box that you get after you choose New Project from the File menu), you'll get a second dialog. To the right are two bits of text, "Overview" (which is likely highlighted) and "Application Settings." They're both actually buttons, despite the appearance. Clicking "Application Settings" brings you to the interface where you can tick off the "empty project" checkbox. Nothing else needs to be changed.

It's rather annoying that this important little box is relatively out of the way, a lot of people miss it.
^^

ok so i tried what u guys ask me to do

i see several different files like this

Header files
|
|->stdafx.h
Resources Files
Source Files
|
|->stdafx.cpp
|->testing.cpp
readme.txt

hmm so which file do i use to start working on my program or do i have to cre8 my own file?

Sorry for the many question as i was working with JAVA using JDK so i'm very unsure with Visual Studio Express
^^

Header files
|
|->stdafx.h
Resources Files
Source Files
|
|->stdafx.cpp
|->testing.cpp
readme.txt

hmm so which file do i use to start working on my program or do i have to cre8 my own file?

Sorry for the many question as i was working with JAVA using JDK so i'm very unsure with Visual Studio Express

actually if you checked empty project you should see none of those files, there will either be a .CPP file with same name as your project in wich you can type (that will be empty) or no files at all & you add one manually

edit: edited out some stuff cuz i'm an idiot that can't read
^^

Header files
|
|->stdafx.h
Resources Files
Source Files
|
|->stdafx.cpp
|->testing.cpp
readme.txt

no worries, everyone has to start somewhere

right

1) open Visual C++
2) File > New > Project
3) Win32 > Win32 Console Application > (Enter Project Name) > Click 'OK'
4) Select 'Console Application' as the application type (this is a radio button)
5) Check 'Empty Project' under additional Options

now to add a cpp file to the project

File > New > File ..

in the New File Properties Box

select 'Visual C++' then C++ File, give it a name and add it to the project

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement