What do you think makes Gears of War such a succesfull game?

Started by
18 comments, last by MilfredCubicleX 16 years, 12 months ago
games that are generally succesful usually fall into 2 categories the genuinely innovative like REZ, Katamari Damacy, Psychonauts(sp?) etc.
and the games that are from a defined genre but do that genre to perfection

(i say generally because i know someone will go out and list a thousand games that contradict anything i say :) )
Halo in essence is no different from all the cheap nasty fps's around its in first person you have a gun and you shoot enemies.
it does/did have fancy graphics and some nice features but the reason i think it stood out is that it was just a quality product the controls were intuitive the flow of the game was good and you can just tell from playing it that it is the product of hard work and lots of testing :)

GOW is a bit of a break from the regular fps but the features that are in it have all been featured (albeit seperatly) in other games it is just the overall quality of the game that makes it stand out(and bleeding edge graphics help too)

think of Lost Planet it was alright and some people loved it but it wasnt anywhere near the scale of GOW but it isnt that far removed from it.

this doesnt just apply to fps's, Disgea is a Tactics game and uses essentially the same system as Final fantasy Tactics, now where both of these games reek of quality how many other games in the same genre are dissapointing.

--------------------------------------EvilMonkeySoft Blog
Advertisement
The action-button (hiding behind cars etc.) is just bloody brilliant.

Working for WeWantToKnow. Also working on jMonkeyEngine and Maker's Tale.

Hype.

It was a fairly good game with incredibly good marketing behind it.

Is there anyone else here who just wants to punch CliffyB?

Quote:Original post by SunTzu
Is there anyone else here who just wants to punch CliffyB?

Can't vouch for the man's personality, but his level design skills are phenomenal. (/opinion)

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

just a quick idea why it is so popular, its personal.

the player really gets into the character and it becomes very personal, the way they see it is "these buggers are trying to take over my PLANET, i'll have 'em!!!" and then you get people fighting with passion and screaming at their telivison screens such civilized things like "DIE YOU ALIEN SCUM" "EAT S**T AND DIE" etc....which i think personaly is GREAT, there is nothing better than actaully getting into a game and wanting to destroy stuff.

Ian.
- Thank you for reading -
Marketing, Hype and great visuals.. Thats what brought the succes to Gears, mainly the visuals. The gameplay was nice, but nothing groundbreaking.
I thought the overall color scheme of the game was dull. It looked to dark and bland. It should have been more colorful and varied in it.
Sure the powerful engine, coop, solid gameplay, and a mostly new game mechanic (action button) helped, but I really don’t think that that is what made it big. There have been tons of games that came out that have all those things and don’t go anywhere.

I think what made GoW extremely popular was that it was in the right place at the right time. A big new system came out that a lot of people jumped on, all of the console shooter fans that Halo made were itching for a new game, and there was a general lack of competition from other games on that console at the moment. I think these factors more then anything else really got the ball rolling for GoW.
You have the best response yet and the exact reasons. I agree totally. For the record on this post you notice that anyone who hasn't played gears always says it was marketing. When truthfully it wasn't marketed that well.
I like the cover system, the atmosphere of the single player game, and how polished it is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement