Cellphone Games? How to get started?

Started by
6 comments, last by CC Ricers 16 years, 11 months ago
I am just wondering what software I would have to download to make cellphone games? I already know java, and know the majority if not all cellphone games are made in java. So, what software, API, do I need to get my java games I have now converted to cellphone games, or to program them to cellphone games. if anything cost please let me know, and how to contact Cingular, Verizon or who I would need to contact to get my games on there server for download and get paid for my games please let me know. Any help, suggestions, and response is greatly appreciated. c.s. Finch
Advertisement
I could be wrong, but I believe that operators no longer talk to anyone but established companies. Anyway, This is a thread that contains links to all the info you will need to get started.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Established companies only, so if that's the case go to an american bank create a business account of our team name as a company, get registered with federal stuff, and show off what we've done so far right?

And, how bout the Nintendo DS, and PSP? <- I'm guessing the software used to make these games are expensive, special API libraries, or something of the sort?
Quote:Original post by quantumgamez
Established companies only, so if that's the case go to an american bank create a business account of our team name as a company, get registered with federal stuff, and show off what we've done so far right?

And, how bout the Nintendo DS, and PSP? <- I'm guessing the software used to make these games are expensive, special API libraries, or something of the sort?
You'll need a devkit for both. A DS devkit is a little over $2000 USD, and is only available to established developers. Both PSP and DS software is written in C/C++ using the Nintendo or Sony APIs.
Hi,

I'm programming my MIDlets using Netbeans with the Mobility pack. For more infos take a look at this site!

If you wanna get started these two books are pretty interesting!

J2ME Game Programming
Beginning Mobile Phone Game Programming

The first has better code inside and is more exhaustive; anyway it doesn't use so much MIDP 2.0 apis which provide:
- Support for sound
- PNG image transparency ( very useful!! )
- Support for sprites and distinct drawing layers

The second has a lot of examples with MIDP2 apis, maybe it's better for real beginners, anyway, a lot of features from the newest MIDP2 are not so flexible when you want to start developing something serious or, why not, more original!
definately Java and the 1.6 update 1 SDK and the Wireless Toolkit (J2ME) all easily available on the sun java website. you could look into developing with BREW aswell that allows you to use C and C++ but BREW isn't widely available like the Java platform is.
I guess it depends upon your phone, but generally you can use the freely available J2ME tools and create a application which you can run on your phone (you'll need some sort of connection that allows you to place the needed files in the appropriate place such as a USB cable or bluetooth). If you're a competent programmer I wouldn't worry too much about getting books it's pretty easy to get up and running with the info you can find on the net, check out this it's a series of articles on creating MIDlets (think applets but instead of a browser they run on your phone) with J2ME. Also take a look at the website of your phone manufacturer (if you're serious about creating and selling games for mobiles you'll need to get a variety of handsets as they all implement J2ME in slightly different ways) and see if you can find the developer section.

In terms of selling your games, if you want to do it via carriers you'll probably need to be an established company as others have said if you want them to carry your games. However there's nothing stopping you from setting up your own webshop where you sell downloadable versions (either for people to transfer to their phone by themselves or to download direct to their handsets).
Quote:Original post by quantumgamez

The PSP has a relatively large homebrew scene, so you can get your feet wet easily there. A massive amount of C libraries already exist for the system, including ports of SDL and an OpenGL wrapper. You can setup a development kit with Cygwin and a toolchain that was made by pro and hobbyist developers. You can even find updates with Subversion so it's a pretty busy development scene.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement