[.net] Csharp,Jsharp,C++ online:::

Started by
1 comment, last by Machaira 16 years, 11 months ago
hi, this is question just asking your opinion on which is the best language for a new programmer who wishes to program games >on the web (online)< . if the simplest for you isnt on the list just tell me what it is. i have all of microsofts visual studio express and i have a sun-micros java Netbeans SDK and IDE. i do understand this hould really be posted on the beginners forums but i thought its sort of in the area of expertice for you guys any help really appreciated thanks
Advertisement
Ignore J#; it's really for compatibility with bringing Java code to the .NET runtime environment. If you want Java, write Java; if you want .NET compatibility, write C#. C# and Java are not too different at the end of the day. [smile]

Quote:Original post by andreius
this is question just asking your opinion on which is the best language for a new programmer who wishes to program games >on the web (online)< .
Do you mean on the web (www, like this site) or on the internet?

If you mean "on the web", it depends on the sort of game you want to write. C# (ASP.NET), Java (JSP) and C++ (CGI) are all appropriate. Of those C++ would be the hardest; C# is easy enough, and I'd have assumed Java was on par (not having used it).

The only language there that would be suitable for running inside a browser as a "regular" program would be Java (embedding applets). ActiveX is an option, but a severely limiting one.

If you mean an internet-based multiplayer game, any of the above are appropriate. C# and Java would be easier than C++, as always; toss a coin. [wink]

Personally, I prefer C#'s developer tools and documentation, and find it easier because of that.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

If you want to do browser-based games, Flash is an option. If you're a new programmer though, I wouldn't recommend limiting yourself in this way. Since you have VS Express, I'd recommend downloading Game Studio Express as well and going with XNA, which means using C#. [grin]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement