Programme Not Executing

Started by
1 comment, last by DIVEinfinityfield 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi Guys, I am sending builds of my game to a friend to test. The most recent of which would not execute on his machine. Firstly I thought this would be a DirectX version number issue, and made sure we both got the same one. I also added a logger to the code(about time to) to see where he was crashing out. On his machine the logger is not even being invoked it seems to me that the programme is not getting as far as calling Main. Strangely older builds work on his machine. Are there any tools out there that we can use to see what exactly is happening once the exe has been clicked on from outside the programme? as this seems to me another programme (virus checker maybe) is intercepting the call and terminating it. Thanks for any help. Gary
Advertisement
Well I am not sure how to check what is happening at runtime unless your friend opens a debugger and steps through a debug version the code.

I have had problems in the past with using different Dlls and the program not working correctly. I found that dependency walker is a great program for looking through all the dependent modules an executable is relying on. Just open the program and drag the executable in it and it will show you all the modules. It will also show you if some modules are outdated or if there are entry points that are not found in your friend's local version of the Dlls.
Hi,

thanks for that, I downloaded the free dependency walker from http://www.dependencywalker.com/, great tool and immediately shed some light on the problem.

My friend was using the lastest re-dist (Feb 07) whilst I had the latest web updated version (April 07) of DX. Dependancy walker picked up the dlls missing on his machine straight away, stange that DX didn't throw up any missing dll dialog boxes.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement