MMOFPS Discussion

Started by
5 comments, last by Sirisian 16 years, 11 months ago
EDIT: FIRST MISTAKE ALREADY. :x I didn't read the rules. Sorry, age is not an excuse for that. I'm really sorry. I bet I'm gonna get flamed because of this. O well, critism is welcome. Positively :P Well this is my first post here at GameDev. I'm 13 years old so spelling might not be very "professional". Anyways, I had this really good dream about a MMOFPS. It can be well considerd a bases of the MMOFPS. Here is a basic concept of it, A island somewhere around the Carribean has gotten some big resource spark and many nations want to claim it. Not really wanting to go through the whole hassle of war or political war they decide to leave it. Now corrupt companies and people looking for a fortune who join these factions inhabit the island. War over the resources and power of the island begins. This is how it works roughly. This game will be based on realism as in no crosshair but ironsights (sounds as if Im trying to make it :P) But some key resources are food and water, to live. Your character must have the resources daily at a pace to make him healthy. stamina. Some of this land can be controlled or is public- meaning it can be used by everyone. But these resources can be sold, but are not at high value. Gold, Iron, and Copper ( Etc... much more :P )these resources are the real money makers. I have to go now, I will update it. Sorry if this in the wrong place. Cheers, To be continued later...
Advertisement
Regardless of what your storyline is, there's a very good reason why MMOs use the playstyle they do - latency. It's hard enough keeping 16 people in sync for a traditional FPS match, and while recently they've managed to push things higher (I seem to recall hearing of matches of 64 people), that's still nowhere near the kind of population that even a small MMO has to be able to support. FPS games require very accurate and realtime data from every player to be able to play at all well; even small amounts of lag make the game unplayable. In contrast, your standard MMORPG is very lag-tolerant, as the player needs to make relatively few time-critical decisions.

This is also, incidentally, why networked street fighter/brawler games are uncommon. When you have a window of 1/5th of a second to react to your opponent's move, you certainly can't afford to have any lag.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
I can see what your saying, but like Huxely has conquered this I believe :X
And wouldnt Ping concentrated servers conquer this?

It's called Planetside. Sure it's possible to make an MMOFPS but you'd need some good servers and a lot of bandwidth to hold 300 players or higher.

Another thing to note about MMOFPS games. It doesn't matter about the story much, it's all about the gameplay and PVP action (or PVE).
^^ As a matter o' a fact there is a game called huxley coming out and already out in korea. it's an mmofps based on unreal3 engine and does up to 100 vs 100 mix of bots and pc's per rather large zone(think it's 1*1km)
Quote:Original post by Derakon
there's a very good reason why MMOs use the playstyle they do - latency. It's hard enough keeping 16 people in sync for a traditional FPS match, and while recently they've managed to push things higher (I seem to recall hearing of matches of 64 people), that's still nowhere near the kind of population that even a small MMO has to be able to support.

One option would be to let players be out of sync until they get close (on range for the most reaching weapon).

However the problem is, the most unique use of a mmofps would be to have large battles, and there, separating sync by distance doesn't help.

Quote:Original post by Zanshibumi
Quote:Original post by Derakon
there's a very good reason why MMOs use the playstyle they do - latency. It's hard enough keeping 16 people in sync for a traditional FPS match, and while recently they've managed to push things higher (I seem to recall hearing of matches of 64 people), that's still nowhere near the kind of population that even a small MMO has to be able to support.

One option would be to let players be out of sync until they get close (on range for the most reaching weapon).

However the problem is, the most unique use of a mmofps would be to have large battles, and there, separating sync by distance doesn't help.
That's basically the idea. Very large maps to split up the fights. Then the whole map is broken up into zones that are distributed between a collection of servers. Key battle points are simply at the center of these zones. So for instance you could have 64 players matches going on all over the large map region. It's when congestion problems occur that the game starts to take a hit. (When I played planetside the servers only started, or seemingly, started to take a hit after 120 people were in the same region fighting, but that could just be a fluke).

Something else you have to realize is that the servers running Huxley or Planetside aren't home computers. I mean there's people with computers that host 64 player BF or UT games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement