Hobby Game Engineering Project

Started by
0 comments, last by Shakedown 16 years, 11 months ago
Hi all, Oddly enough I'm a long time frequenter of these boards, however, in recent days, I have completely forgotten my old login information or the email address I used to sign up, so I'm unable to tell you who I was :) But, let me move on... I am a professional software engineer at a medical image company in Central New York who has a passion for game development. I'm beginning a project, entitled "Lunar Lander", that is intended to be a full fledged hobby-engineering game development project for me and a learning resource for those interested in software engineering and game development. I intend to follow industry standard practices for software development through the duration of this project - I'm not throwing a game together, I'm critically thinking about it and developing it in an open fashion for others to contribute in and learn from. I am planning on open sourcing this project and hosting it on SourceForge, and I will also be constantly updating a development blog that can be found through this link: http://robodev.blogspot.com/ I thought I'd make a post on here about this and try and gauge others' interest in this, both from a willingness to contribute point of view and a learning experience point of view. I know many of you who are beginners ask about where to begin, and are helpfully pointed to a wealth of resources by other members of this board. However, game development is simply another form of software development, and much much more goes into software development than simply designing and coding. So I thought that this project might be helpful to those new to programming/software engineering and might help keep me on my toes. So if anyone is interested, let me know :) And if this isn't really necessary, let me know that too :) Hope to hear some feedback from all of you, Rob [Edited by - general_good_times on July 12, 2009 1:09:07 PM]
Advertisement
I might be interested. I've recently seen a few open source projects and I am curious as to how an open-source project like this works. Regardless of whether or not I have enough experience to help or contribute, I am interested in the learning that could come from this project. So, to restate my question, how does an open-source project/game like this work? Do you just create some code, post it, and keep creating code until someone jumps in changes it or suggests something? How does it work?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement