[web] Perl Question

Started by
0 comments, last by Sander 16 years, 10 months ago
I want to work on an email client for a school project in perl. I want to be able to login into my yahoo email, using telnet, and then receive and send emails from there. First I have to be able to login from telnet, which I've tried but doesnt work. In Telnet.... open smtp.mail.yahoo.com 587 AUTH LOGIN (I give my Username in Base64) (I give my password in Base 64) 535 Authorization Failure Why is this happening? I'm giving the correct username and pass. Could someone try it with their yahoo account and tell me if it works for them? Thanks.
Advertisement
It's very well possible that Yahoo disallows all SMTP traffic except their own servers. It makes sense. They only offer webmail. Usually people who have a regular POP3 account somewhere use the SMTP server of their local ISP. There is no need to use the same server for SMTP as the one you POP from, unless the SMTP server has been configured with "pop-before-smtp". Most servers are not.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement