Evaluating frameworks for a new game

Started by
10 comments, last by stimarco 16 years, 10 months ago
I've recently found Irrlicht and Irrklang combination to be very nice. Not only is the engine quite simple to use and set up (even in linux with your own makefiles), it compiles fast (compared to the hackish ogre .h hell, Irrlich example app is done in ~1s here, ogre one takes ~10s just because of the .h, if I use .gch it takes ~5s).

Irrklang integrates into Irrlicht and provides high level audio functionality while not depending on high level libs. Overall the combination is almost dreamy to me, because the resulting binary only depends on basic libs like alsa, libstdc++ and X11 libs.

I've been playing around with this combination and so far it's pretty good. It also supports quake/doom levels so you should be able to kick-start with it.

And no, I'm not affiliated with any of the 2 engines :) I don't even use C++ by default if I can help it.
Advertisement

If you just want to make a 2D game and don't want to waste days or weeks fighting some ill-documented API reference, I'd recommend BlitzMAX. It does exactly what it says on the tin and, most importantly, you can get results fast. (Oh and it's been used to produce professional-quality indie games too.)

If you're willing to experiment with something a bit more powerful, check out Unity -- but only if you have an (Intel) Mac. It can produce Windows executeables, but there's no Windows version of the actual tool. (Yet.)

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement