Cross-platform input handling api options?

Started by
9 comments, last by trexmaster78 16 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by c0uchm0nster
The list of "authorized" api's i was given was directx, opengl, and fmod

Typical... Well, just tell your teacher that SDL is a cross-platform API that does pretty much the same thing that DX does (input-wise that is, maybe there are other things that DX does and SDL doesn't), except for 3D (but I'm pretty sure she knows that already), and that you think that authorizing DX but not SDL is illogical.

Quote:Original post by c0uchm0nster
so i'm pretty sure it's not stuborness. however to be fair i also wouldnt call my teacher stupid, so much as ignorant - as she's not a game developer.

That part was plainly me ranting against my old teachers ultimate argument when arguing with me (or any other pupil) : "The point is for you to learn !"

Just a simple example : they made us code a stack class on our own in C/C++ and never taught us about the STL (which I discovered quite some time after I left school...). What was the point ? Sure I can code a stack class now, but I'm pretty sure that the STL version has a better design and a better code. Might as well directly have learned to use the STL...

Hopefully I'm not in school anymore and can learn the way I want. That might not be as efficient quantity-wise but I'm sure this is more efficient quality-wise, simply because now I enjoy it.

Back to the subject :
As suggested earlier (I'm lazy and not fully awake yet so I won't quote... sorry), just make two versions of your project's input handling functions/class, one with DX, the other with SDL, just for the fun of it (if you have enough time of course).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement