16th note sound problems

Started by
3 comments, last by Kylotan 16 years, 8 months ago
Ive just made constant 16th notes with a vst instrument(Hi-Hat) on Cubase SE3. when i play it back it cuts out about every third beat. would this be a problem with my sound card(which is kinda outdated) or is it something that i can fix by pushing a few buttons? much thanks. -Tyler
Advertisement
It might be your sound card, but it also might be the patch you're using. Depending on your tempo setting, playing repeated 16th notes can give a very choppy sound. Here are some options:

1) Vary up the velocity setting. This can make it sound more organic, more realistic. No human plays 16th notes at the same velocity!

2) The sample (or patch's) tail might be getting cut off. Select another hi-hat patch and alternate the patches used. This doesn't have to be in a strick pattern and might help give the samples more time to reload and play.

3) Do both. This will give your drum sounds a more humanistic performance and help the cutting off of the samples.

If this is only happening when you're trying 16th notes on the hi-hat, then I doubt its your sound card. However, if your sound card has a hard time playing multiple tracks and such...then I'd check out your latency settings. You might need to make that setting lower (or safer) so the CPU can handle it better.

I hope that helps!

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

I tried the different velosity but it still did it. and i dont think i have another sample.. but after listening to it a few times the cutting out could fit into the music so i think that im goin to leave it like that. thanks for the help!
Check your notes for overlaping, that may be your problem. In Cubase simply select the part, the go to menu: MIDI -> Functions -> Delete Overlaps (mono or poly)

Hope it helps.

- Piotr
_________________________www.piotrmusial.comoriginal music for media
The VST instrument may have a maximum polyphony number which stops it playing new notes (or prematurely stopping old notes) when you play too many in succession. Look to increase that value, if you can find it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement