MSVC 6.0 debugger hangs

Started by
10 comments, last by CrazyCdn 16 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Actually, the VC6 compiler produces extremely inefficient code in a lot of circumstances (not to mention, incorrect code in some circumstances). It's likely that his workplace uses it because certain embedded device SDKs were written to work with VC6 and never updated after that.

I'll have to ask him, but it's actually probably because they use mostly C code (in other words, no classes). This is because of the need for high efficiency in the firmware --- they simply can't afford the extra overhead that is needed for C++ classes. It could be that MSVC6 does C more efficiently while later versions do C++ more efficiently.

Quote:Original post by _goat
You can just download the Platform SDK from Microsoft's own website?

Yes I know, that's not the problem. The problem is that the latest Platform SDK is no longer compatible with Windows 2000... so I won't be able to install it.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by UltimateWalrus
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Actually, the VC6 compiler produces extremely inefficient code in a lot of circumstances (not to mention, incorrect code in some circumstances). It's likely that his workplace uses it because certain embedded device SDKs were written to work with VC6 and never updated after that.

I'll have to ask him, but it's actually probably because they use mostly C code (in other words, no classes). This is because of the need for high efficiency in the firmware --- they simply can't afford the extra overhead that is needed for C++ classes. It could be that MSVC6 does C more efficiently while later versions do C++ more efficiently.

I doubt from VC6 to VC2005 they made the C compiler slower. If anything they just carried it along. I could be wrong but simple tests would prove this either way. It was quite the happy day when I threw out my copy of VC6, sadly, not long ago.

But it is very likely that they use mostly C (maybe all). A friend of mine does a lot of embedded stuff and he says they pretty much use assembly and C. I guess it mostly depends on the device you're using too.

Anyways, why not pick up a copy of XP, it's pretty cheap now and basically has the same hardware requirements. Make your life easier, you get a MUCH better IDE and compiler.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement