"MMORPG"

Started by
47 comments, last by a2k 16 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by CooleoBen
P.S. Im 16 lol yes i know if u rea up top it says ten years of getting ideas, that is true, ever since i have been ten started prgramming and writing my ideas down.

Im 16 ... up top it says ten years of getting ideas ... ever since i have been ten started prgramming and writing my ideas down.

Im 16 ... ten years of getting ideas ... since i have been ten.

My math is rusty. 16 - 10 is 10?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nathan Baum
P.S. Im 16 lol yes i know if u rea up top it says ten years of getting ideas, that is true, ever since i have been ten started prgramming and writing my ideas down.

Im 16 ... up top it says ten years of getting ideas ... ever since i have been ten started prgramming and writing my ideas down.

Well, he could have been getting ideas since he was 6. His statements (from what you quoted) are that
1) He started programming when he was 10.
2) He's 16
3) He's spent 10 years getting ideas
4) Since he was 10 programming AND writing down ideas

So, if he starting getting ideas at 6, starting programming at 10 and at the same time thought "hey, i should write my ideas down while I program", then he has truthfully fulfilled his statements.

Quote:Original post by Nathan Baum

To the calculatormobile to find the solution to this conundrum!

100,000 different weps

Quite a few different names there. Not really user friendly if they have that many weapons to find a decent few out of is it.
Why would a game with 10 to 50 thousand people need 100 thousand weapons?

CooleoBen: you have two options:

1) Sit day-dreaming about your MMORPG, not doing anything productive and otherwise embarrassing yourself with your lack of abilities before finally giving up on games all together or moving on to #2, all the time kicking yourself for wasting all that time with nebulous MMORPG ideas.

2) Start working on small games. Make Pong, Tetris, PacMan, etc. Grab XNA or PyGame or some other rapid-development language/framework and use that. With the skills you gain you'll actually be in a far better position to evaluate your MMORPG ideas yourself (if they're any good, if you are able to implement them, how you might implement them, etc) - rather than asking us (BTW: we're saying "bad plan").

I think this will be the third time I've invoked the "pottery story" to MMORPG wannabies - a story I heard only recently myself (although my own experiences back it up): Pottery professor has two classes. First class spends all semester perfecting a single pot. Second class makes one pot a week - handing in every Friday, starting fresh each Monday. In the final pot submission, the second class's pots are miles better than the first class's.

To apply this to games, I'd recommend making one of those games a month - stop when the month is up - if you didn't make it in a month, that tells you that you need to either gain more skills or make a smaller game. Do this for at least a year and then come back and talk to us about MMORPGs.

And if you're going to make an MMORPG, make sure at least one of those small games has network play. If you're going to work with (or run) a team, make sure you make one of those small games with a team. Think of it as training for the big event. Athletes don't just go out and say "I'm going to run a marathon today" - and game developers don't (successfully) say "I'm going to make an MMORPG" without having the skills.
learning

Seriously, if you aren't just a troll (in which case, nice work!), read what people tell you. It's not your age or lack of experience that's the problem. It's your reaction to good advice. My advice is, keep at it, and maybe post a new thread in the help wanted section with a brushed down subset of your ideas. You'll get good response, whereas here in the lounge the only thing you'll achieve is tanking your rating. Grow up!
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
Quote:Original post by King of Men
So files support anything that databases do, if you want to write your own database implementation. [grin]

You're confusing 'supports' and 'can be used to implement something that supports', which is not quite the same thing. By your definition, OpenGL 'supports' ogg vorbis music, because games that use ogg vorbis music can be built on top of OpenGL.
I must say, I thought the smiley would be a sufficient indication that I was joking.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
My sense of humor is currently out on holidays in Italy, and should be back in a fortnight. We apologize for the inconvenience and wish you a good flight with ToohrVyk posting.
How long do you plan on spending to work on this game?
How much time are you willing to invest every day to get there?
How many people do you plan on recruiting to help you out?
How will they be compensated for their time and efforts?
Do you have servers that will support 50,000 people?
If not, how do you plan on acquiring them and will you have the money to continue maintaining those servers?
Will you have people to provide administration/GMs for those servers?
How will you compensate them?
Have you already acquired a game engine that can support the amount of weapons and users that you are planning to support?
If not, how much are you willing to spend on one?
If you're planning on building the engine yourself, do you have a graphics engineer, network engineer, AI programmers, engine programmers, and how will you compensate them?
How will you compensate the content creators?
How will you compensate your quality assurance team if you decide to have one?
If the game is similar to other games, will you be sure that your game will not infringe on intellectual property from those games?
Do the human resources that you have already acquired have the time and money to invest in such a large project?

No reason to stop dreaming, but the execution may need a little more research.
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement