Am I too old?

Started by
30 comments, last by tonywatts 16 years, 7 months ago
Quote:Original post by SyntaxError Line21
The games I'm interested in making is something like "Tekken 5" or "Grand Theft Auto" and "The Way Of The Samurai" (but on steroids) put together. Is that even possible for only 2-3 people working on that?
Yes - a very rare few talented people can manage it - but it does take a very long time. I'd recommend going and looking at the credits listings for the games you mentioned; count how many people were involved, then consider that most of them will have many years of experience, and that it still took them 2-3 years to make those games with everyone pulling together. That's the "normal" process for these things. Granted, tools and technology are improving and have improved since the PS2 days, but still, look at that to get some perspective.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Nice to see that most of the well articulated answers were positive. I'm in the same boat as a few posters. I'm about to turn 30 and have sent myself to university to retrain as a programmer.

I think there's going to be a lot of opportunity for us slightly more mature types to get jobs in the industry. We're stable, and have shown a lot of motivation by packing in whatever we were doing before and training ourselves up in something new.

But don't give up the guitar... why would you need to? You can't pump out code nonstop, and I think (totally unproven) that you can be productive while playing, in the same way that you can go to bed thinking about a problem, then wake up in the morning and suddenly the solution's obvious... or am I the only person who gets that? Anyways, remember that it's a long slow burn you're after, not a short sharp explosion of enthusiasm.

Good luck!

*edited for shocking typos*

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement