Can't take it anymore. Why is developing such a pain?

Started by
38 comments, last by DrEvil 16 years, 7 months ago
But wait? Define computer? There is always the first programmable computer, which AFAIK is the Z1. Ummm, if I actually listened in computer science, then it was created by a German dude I think in his parents living room. I don't quite remember his name. Let me take a look at my notes. Ok, notes say: "Konrad Zuse. This was 1936-1938 and is considered the first electrical binary programmable computer."

Though, I did learn that the first real personal computer was the Kenback-1. Which was after 1968. Ummm...1971 if I recall maybe.

Oh, and yea. I am a history buff.

Chad

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by random_thinker
Quote:
Is it asked to much that I just want to compile my code into a single .exe file that will run on every PC?

Personally, I find that the Eclipse IDE combined with GCC G++ allows me to use C++ Std Library-compliant code on just about any operating system I need. I presently use OSX, WinXP (trying Vista soon) and Linux (32 and 64 bit architectures). Linux 64 bit is my main development platform. IMHO, it is possible to write once and use on multiple platforms in C++, once you get the gist of it. You just have to stick with it and keep grinding. You'll get there.

Wow, I thought I was the only one using this approach... well, nearly. I don't target Linux 64 and I use MS compilers for Windows (I got burned by MetroWerks C awhile back, and gave up on "alternative" Windows compilers at that point), but otherwise I'm in the same cross-platform C++ heaven you are, I think.
If you want XP themed controls, you need to include a manifest in your program specifying "common controls version 6".
[google]

If you really want a single exe, try using these options:
Configuration Properties -> General -> Use of MFC = Use MFC in a Static Library
Configuration Properties -> General -> Use of ATL = Static link to ATL
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
the strench thing about computers is the first chip which is tudays standard chips /cpus tructure . found at 1947 after that big thing droppend to somewhere on usa which was calling ufo. by someones .
and fbi /cia? is still store this info as secret data.

© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
Quote:Original post by VanKurt
Allright, that's it! I haven't been so angry since...well, I don't know!
I develop games with VisualStudio for almost 6 years now, and have always had problems. So far I somehow managed to bypass them, but not this time.

First of all: All the controls I use in my dialogs look ugly (Win98 style). Why don't I get cool Vista controls like every other application?

Secondly: Suddenly I can't run most of my own apps anymore. I always get messages like "MSVCP90D.DLL is missing, bla bla". But of course that's not true. I found multiple instances of this DLL on my computer.

Thirdly: My apps never work on other computers than mine. There's always strange messages that say: "The application configuration is incorrect...." or something like that.

Try Delphi. It is very similar to the VS experience, except it supports (and defaults to) single exe compilation with no dependancies. These run on windows 9x and forwards. The latest version, 2007, includes seemless Vista theme support, although I haven't tried it.

It supports native W32 (and soon-ish, true Win64) apps as well as .NET 1 and 2 (which pretty much includes 3 as it is just .net2 + extras)

More third party components then you can poke a stick at, and making your own is a breese.

You can get trial versions from their web site: www.codegear.com or there are Turbo versions of the previous 2006 version available at http://www.turboexplorer.com The Turbo Explorer version is also free.
You must have really broken something to have all those problems. I've never made a program that gave me such problems as you're apparently having, and I regularly make C++ programs both as a job and hobby. That includes MSVC 2002, 2003, and 2005, and I've not once had to fiddle with random settings to make stuff work (though I often do so to increase optimization etc, it's entirely uneccessary).

You should try reformatting then reinstalling in order to reset your machine to a known good state.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:
Secondly: Suddenly I can't run most of my own apps anymore. I always get messages like "MSVCP90D.DLL is missing, bla bla". But of course that's not true. I found multiple instances of this DLL on my computer.

I feel your pain, had the same damn problem myself. Simplest (but stupid) solution, create a new solution, then readd all your files, recompile and bam it magically starts working again. The problem is caused by a bug in Visual Studio acting, and it just randomly happens. Since I've installed the Visual Studio service pack however I haven't had that problem, so if you havent already is probably a good idea to download it.

Quote:
Thirdly: My apps never work on other computers than mine. There's always strange messages that say: "The application configuration is incorrect...." or something like that.

That's because of the manifest files. While its a pain, its actually a really good system since it prevents 'dll hell' when your program tries to link to a dll thats slightly different that the one you intended. To fix it do a proper deployment with the windows installer, give that to your friends and it'll just work. There's a hack around to remove manifest files, can't remember off the top of my hand but you change a few compiler/linker settings.

Quote:
Is it asked to much that I just want to compile my code into a single .exe file that will run on every PC?

Java does that, provided you have the Virtual Machine installed, but there is some debate over if its fast enough for game development. Do some hunting and I'm sure you'll find a few threads debating C++ vs Java for game dev.

Quote:Original post by gamer202
In my experience, MSVC++ has a lot of problems. It's probably easiest to use a standard compiler (gcc), and forgo MFC etc. (You can write your own version of MFC with the functionality for a game in 30 minutes) This would solve your .DLL problem, because your only using those .DLLs you explicitly specify. I use Dev-C++ and gcc with Directx 9.0c and have absolutely no problems with portability or .DLLs.
More professionals use MSVC for C++ than anything else. So it is the standard compiler. GCC definitely isn't. And if you don't use MFC (for DirectX there is no need) you still ahve DirectX to consider, if you use D3DX. But then I guess someone like you would probably write their own version of D3DX to save time sorting out a dll...

I wish more people would treat game development as software development.

I do a lot of C++/OpenGL/D3D in Visual Studio and I have never had a problem running projects on another Windows machine. As mentioned above, something must be really wrong with either your machine or your VS configurations.
MSVCP90*.dll is the MSVC Orcas beta right? Are you surprised a beta has issues? Unless something has changed from 2005 you should be able to static link your executable/dll to avoid external dependencies. Mac or Linux is no different with dynamically linked libraries.

Most peoples computers don't even have the MSVC2005 runtimes installed by default, much less the runtimes to a beta of Orcas. Package the dlls with your app when you send it to someone or static link. There's nothing difficult about it. Understanding dependencies is an important part of software development when you're working with a program that is compiled in 'dll mode', which sounds likely how yours is. Generally you give people your release builds, which will have different dependencies than your debug build(normally the same dll with a D in the filename, as someone has mentioned).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement