Side Scrolling

Started by
14 comments, last by caffeineaddict 22 years, 6 months ago
I''m working on a side scrolling game now, just started actually, anyway I was looking for a tutorial/reference for a side scrolling game, I know what to do and how to do it but I was just wanting a tutorial or something to see if i''m doing things the best way etc. So if you know of a side scrolling game tutorial/reference please post it. Thanks
Advertisement
Hey, I dont know any sites on the Net with any tutorials or info on scrolling games. But, You can find info in Isometric Game Programming by TANSTAAFL and Sams Teach Yourself Direct X 7. I think Im going to start a Mario / Jazz Jackrabbit type game real soon, using Isometric tiles and such. What do you think of this idea? Would it work good in a SideView really? Or I may set up a view looking down on everything. Sorry, not much help though. If you can please email me at
tryforfulluse@msn.com
thanks>
bad!
Well it''s not all that good (IMHO), so maybe I shouldn''t suggest it, but at makegames.com, Diana Gruber has an ebook on making a sidescrolling game. Forget the title but it should be the one below "So You Want To Be a Game Developer?" (another book) on the homepage. It''s pretty crumby, if you ask me. Just thought you should know about it.

Anyway, "Tricks of the Windows Programming Gurus" has a good chapter on making a sidescroller or similar game with DDraw, if you''re intersted. I''d assume stay away from DDraw, though, unless you''re advanced, because it''s pretty hard. Allegro is better. It''s just plain more efficient.

Possibly the best set of tuts and articles I''ve found is STEEL''s Graphics Tutorials, or something like that.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/9784/tut.html

Excellent because it''s a collection of clearly written articles that do not use DDraw but rather use Allegro. Enjoy.
Hi!

There is a really good tutorial at:
www.makegames.com

Regards

Jonas

quote:Original post by Some Guy

Anyway, "Tricks of the Windows Programming Gurus" has a good chapter on making a sidescroller or similar game with DDraw, if you''re intersted. I''d assume stay away from DDraw, though, unless you''re advanced, because it''s pretty hard. Allegro is better. It''s just plain more efficient.

Not trying to be egotistic, but I disagree with DDraw being hard. If you want to do graphics programming, it''s good to know as much as possible about the inner working of graphics displaying. The only hard part about DirectDraw is taking the time and effort to write your own encapsulation classes, so that you have a system of managing all your graphics in your program. Having never actual used Allegro, I can''t bad mouth it, but for the record, once u learn the basics of how graphics work, u will laugh at ever thinking DD is hard I do wish it had more features though, it''s basically just bare bones access to graphics.

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!
BetaShare - Run Your Beta Right!

Possibly the best set of tuts and articles I''ve found is STEEL''s Graphics Tutorials, or something like that.

May I repeat myself?

Again, in bold?

Yep.
Thanks for the replies. I have looked at both sites and since i''m not using allegro i don''t think i''ll use that site much, but the makegames.com one looks ok, i just wish there was a good article or book, the old side scrolling games aren''t dead, if anything I think they''re coming back. Let me explain my reasoning before I get flamed by hardcore 3d people. The sidescrolling games were made in the 80s possibly late 70s (not sure about 70s wasnt around then) anyway we all had fun i''m sure playing mario on the NES. Well now the new kids have come around and have things like GameBoy Color and the like which have newer versions of mario on them, and i''ve seen countless kids being mesmorized(sp?) playing the games like i used to do and still do. Anyway many people i''m sure would agree that the Side scrolling genre is quite addictive and these kids just get lost in the games, I think that they would play newer side scrolling games that are kind of like the newer versions of mario, it''s just so addictive. I know these are my opinions but i think that the "classic" games will come back relatively strong however on different platforms of course. well thanks again for the replies, i hope to have a demo up in a couple months.
It''s doesn''t just use Allegro-- actually I''m not really sure what library or API it uses. STEEL''s just teaches all about GRAPHICS, COLLISION DETECTION, AND LOTS AND LOTS OF MATH!!!

Hate to sound like an ad for it, but it''s a good site with hundreds of tutorials that I don''t see many suggestions for, no matter how excellent it is. Whatever you learn with it, you can use with DDraw, Fastgraph (which makegames.com uses), Allegro and whatever else. It''s just graphics etc. in general.

And I think you''ll find makegames.com a real pain because it''s the electronic version of a printed book based on the author''s original manuscript. It makes constant references to diagrams that aren''t there.

Also if you''re like me, you''ll have a big problem with it because it can''t be downloaded as a PDF or HTML to be printed or ordered in printed form. You have to go through all the trouble of making it available offline through your browser and printing it out on your own. Not the best idea in the world.

If you don''t have a problem with this, I''d say it''s an excellent site. Just compare the two and you be the judge.
OK, sorry just from your other post it sounded like it was only for allegro.
Hmm, practically all of the tutorials at STEEL''s page don''t seem to work...

-Deku-chan

DK Art (my site, which has little programming-related stuff on it, but you should go anyway^_^)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement