SQL or MySQL

Started by
8 comments, last by lostincpp 16 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys, I start to study about DATABASE but i don't know wich one i'm going to pick? SQL or MySQl or Microsoft Asscess? Can anyone tell me what diffences between SQL and MySQl also from MA. Where can i get free version of Oracle SQL plus to practice SQL? I don't now this SQL plus is for sales or not, but i only want it free version for self-study. Thank you very much!!! PS: I love you guys(you guys help me alot to solved some proooooooobleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem)
Advertisement
What is your goal? What language and API? We need a bit more information.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by titi3000
Hi guys,
I start to study about DATABASE but i don't know wich one i'm going to pick?
SQL or MySQl or Microsoft Asscess? Can anyone tell me what diffences between SQL and MySQl also from MA. Where can i get free version of Oracle SQL plus to practice SQL? I don't now this SQL plus is for sales or not, but i only want it free version for self-study.
Thank you very much!!!
PS: I love you guys(you guys help me alot to solved some proooooooobleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeem)

I have used MS-SQL for 2~3 years, but it's PRICEY for personnal user. It got HUGE user base, thus you will find help pretty fast when got problem. Just that it has some non-standard features.

DO NOT USE MS Access for programming, you got no programmatic control over it.

I recommend it's free, it's well-documented, it's popular, it has Management Console, yet best it's free (at least for now).

[Edited by - gan on September 28, 2007 12:54:39 AM]
Quote:Original post by gan
I have used MS-SQL for 2~3 years, but it's PRICEY for personnal user.

MS SQL Express is free. Of course, I guess it depends on your needs as a personal user, if the limitations will be a problem.
I've used them all in both learning and production environments, my opinion about it:

For learning purposes, especially on a home computer, I would start with mySQL. Its quick, easy, and free and you don't have to worry about Microsoft or Oracle specific instructions confusing the issue with the SQL standard. Online documentation is easy to get to on the internet.

Apache server supports mySQL and it, too, is quick, easy, and free.

Once you are proficient with SQL, you can start branching into MS and Oracle specific environments.

I would avoid Microsoft Access altogether. Its more of a personal database system and not really suitable for production environments.

If you haven't already chosen a book, I would suggest "SQL for Dummies" to get you started. It covers standard SQL very well and is easy to use as a reference book later.

That's my two cents worth :)

Hi

Access doesn't compare and shouldn't really be mentioned in the same sentence with good databases. Mysql is pretty good. The only thing its missing is stored procedures. But its free. I do like the stored procedures tho =P

MSSql all the way! price tag is ugly. Haven't tried the express edition? does that have stored procedures? if so, then what exactly is its limitations? is the allowed database/table count capped?

Quote:

Access doesn't compare and shouldn't really be mentioned in the same sentence with good databases. Mysql is pretty good. The only thing its missing is stored procedures. But its free. I do like the stored procedures tho =P

Are you sure ? Try this doc as well.
Quote:Original post by lostincpp
[mySQL is] quick, easy, and free and you don't have to worry about Microsoft or Oracle specific instructions confusing the issue with the SQL standard.

Yeah, you only have to worry about mySQL-specific instructions.

All implementations of SQL extend the specification. All of them.
Having used several I think MySQL is probably the simplest to start with if you want to stay away from Access. I also ran across this great interactive tutorial for learning the base SQL language that I give to my students.

http://sol.gfxile.net/galaxql.html
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by lostincpp
[mySQL is] quick, easy, and free and you don't have to worry about Microsoft or Oracle specific instructions confusing the issue with the SQL standard.

Yeah, you only have to worry about mySQL-specific instructions.

All implementations of SQL extend the specification. All of them.

Didn't mean to imply that mySQL didn't have extensions. Was only suggesting that it is easier for a beginner to deal with mySQL when working with the SQL standard.

Sorry for the lack of clarity on my part.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement