Debating on the Distro to download

Started by
5 comments, last by Bregma 16 years, 6 months ago
I'm debating on what distro to download. I use to run Redhat 3.0 when I built a server when I was in high school, and I believe a year later I ran Fedora 3,4 for about a year, and when I heard about Ubuntu 7.04 during a gamedev conference by accident I downloaded, and tried it. Well, I have a semi new system it's new for me, but doesn't come with the latest hardware bout 2 years old. I have it dual boot for Windows XP, and any really good Linux Distro out there that people will recommend from programmers. I'm thinking about downloading the Ubuntu 7.10 beta right now and use it, but Redhat 5 is out for just a little money why not? What are your thoughts?
Advertisement
For some reason I don't like all .rpm-based Linux'es that is why I wouldn't take RedHat. I use Ubuntu (don't recall version number). It configured correctly my graphics card (Nvidia 7800), and sound card (Creative something) Just after first boot everything was working fine. It took some effort to get use to it, and get all tools for developement installed, but it is ok now.

In my opinion, what is point of paying for RedHat if you can have something similar for free?
Download a few and try them out for awhile.
Personally I currently prefer openSUSE 10.2, before that I was a die hard Redhat user. Just download one, use it for a while. If you like it good, if not try again.
Personally I prefer Debian Etch over pretty much anything about there. To people new to Linux or looking for something that pretty much "just works", I'd recommend PCLinuxOS.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

If you think your time is valuable and you just want something that works I'd go with Ubuntu. If you want to play around with stuff and learn much about linux go with Gentoo linux.

Picking a distribution is very individual, so maybe you should try out a bunch quickly and see which one you like?
I'll second Ubuntu (the latest stable version). It's easy to get installed, and everything works out of the box.
Quote:Original post by Numb3rz
I'm thinking about downloading the Ubuntu 7.10 beta right now and use it, but Redhat 5 is out for just a little money why not?

I would not recommend RHEL5 unless you're trying to run an industrial-strength server. It's not that it's hard to install or use, but it does make the assumption that you know how to administer a commercial Linux server.

Most folks where I work seem to install Ubuntu at home because it's stable and works with pretty much most hardware out there, and it's easy to install the commercial drivers necessary for today's commercialized internet experience. There's also a few hardcore Debian enthusiasts.

I work at a Linux distro that's neither Ubuntu nor Red Hat, so I guarantee I'm not biased here.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement