Selling fan-made programs, but not the graphics.

Started by
10 comments, last by frob 16 years, 6 months ago
Quote:Original post by PCN
Okay, so if I lay out everything, but instead of going out and letting them download the images for free from my site, they have to go get it themselves that works perfectly in the engine, then that's fine?

You are safe on the code side.

If those images are indeed, as I understand it, from Super Metroid, then you're not safe to propose them for free from your website.

Y.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Ysaneya
Quote:Original post by PCN
Okay, so if I lay out everything, but instead of going out and letting them download the images for free from my site, they have to go get it themselves that works perfectly in the engine, then that's fine?

You are safe on the code side.

If those images are indeed, as I understand it, from Super Metroid, then you're not safe to propose them for free from your website.

Y.

Probably safe on copyright, but there is also trademark law to consider.

If the game (even without images) is similar to their product, the company may still decide to sue or send out C&D letters if they feel the product infringes on their unique elements, or if legitimate usage disproportionately dilutes their own marks.

Also, even if they are "safe", it doesn't mean the company won't decide to send out the attack lawyers anyway. The ONLY way for corporations to preserve their rights is to actively enforce them, and that includes taking action against even the slightest possible violations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement