No need to kill

Started by
51 comments, last by Raghar 16 years, 6 months ago
Quote:I didn't frame the discussion with any of that

Really? Head back to your OP, please... "In the real world"... "bullets or swords" ... "lay there moaning, crawl away, or even get up and run" ... "probably be more realistic"

Regardless, my point stands. I don't think implementing realism is trivial in any way. I've been there, done that, and there are lots of little gotchas that bite you in the arse. Maybe you have dealt with everything and it's as simple as plugging in a new anim or two, but I think you'll find lots of annoying little things as development goes on. Good luck, either way.

Quote:The purpose has nothing to do with what happens after they get injured. The purpose is to allow injuring them instead of killing them.

Ah, but there's the rub. I'm talking about once they are injured. The characters are still tokens on your board. This is a system which gives the player a choice when faced with an injured character: do I kill / torture the NPC, or do I leave him to suffer. This only allows the player to question their sadism. Is that a theme in your game?

The goal of the initial interaction (injure rather than kill) is fine, but there are concequences.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Akula

Really? Head back to your OP, please... "In the real world"... "bullets or swords" ... "lay there moaning, crawl away, or even get up and run" ... "probably be more realistic"

Okay, okay. I framed it with realism. But not the type of realism you seem to be referring to. Nothing to do with polygons intersecting. And I definitely didn't mention anything about how the system will work. It could have been a text game.

Quote:Regardless, my point stands. I don't think implementing realism is trivial in any way. I've been there, done that, and there are lots of little gotchas that bite you in the arse. Maybe you have dealt with everything and it's as simple as plugging in a new anim or two, but I think you'll find lots of annoying little things as development goes on.

I'll find those, regardless of adding this system. And adding it won't help or hurt that fact. So it's completely irrelevant.

Quote:
Quote:The purpose has nothing to do with what happens after they get injured. The purpose is to allow injuring them instead of killing them.

Ah, but there's the rub. I'm talking about once they are injured. The characters are still tokens on your board. This is a system which gives the player a choice when faced with an injured character: do I kill / torture the NPC, or do I leave him to suffer. This only allows the player to question their sadism. Is that a theme in your game?

I can avoid showing any type of suffering. When they become injured, they can show pain. But afterwards, they can be quite comfortable just holding the wound, while possibly retreating. Players would gain nothing extra by taking them out. But they will lose nothing as well. It would only question your sadistic nature if it begs question.
Quote:Original post by Akula

Regardless, my point stands. I don't think implementing realism is trivial in any way. I've been there, done that, and there are lots of little gotchas that bite you in the arse. Maybe you have dealt with everything and it's as simple as plugging in a new anim or two, but I think you'll find lots of annoying little things as development goes on. Good luck, either way.

In game development term realism doesn't mean the same as hyper realism. It just mean a game is consistent with itself, and nobody adds silly behavior just because he can. If a person survided a hit from tank, it's realistic if he will not be harmed be a simple stone.

It doesn't mean a developer would be creating a complete surgical system, nor he would implement current economic teories. (Teories are only teories.)

Quote:This is a system which gives the player a choice when faced with an injured character: do I kill / torture the NPC, or do I leave him to suffer. This only allows the player to question their sadism. Is that a theme in your game?

It also allows a player to do choice and play a pacifistic game. It might be cruel (people holding theirs wounds and so on), but it would be his choice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement