Something I whipped up in Maya, just for fun...

Started by
2 comments, last by avorpalbunny 16 years, 6 months ago
So I have been taking a class at University about modelling with Maya. I managed to weasel my way through getting the three prerequisits for the class waived, and for the last month have been playing around in Maya. Today in class we got the basics on lighting a scene and a little bit of rendering. At the end of class I was a bit bored, so I started whipping something up. About an hour and a half later, this was the result: For those who may not immediately recognize it, it's the big lamp from the Pixar short film "Luxo Jr". I realize that it doesn't look quite like the original, but for being my first attempt at rendering anything in Maya, I am pretty happy with how it turned out. For some reason I felt like sharing it. So, anyone else have some stories to tell about modelling things, or learning 3D modelling?
Advertisement
yeah, i'd say you already have a higher than basic understanding of modeling (basic understanding meaning using primitive geometry to make a model).
And good job getting out of the prerequisites, i tried the same at my community college i'm going to atm, but failed. I ended up having to take a quarter of, computer basics, man that was an insanely boring class.
"So, anyone else have some stories to tell about modelling things, or learning 3D modelling?"
and to share something embarrassing, i recently found a backup disc that contained my very first model ever:

i was going for a modern wheel chair, but apparently it cameout being a futuristic wheelchair!

[Edited by - Jarrod1937 on October 11, 2007 6:15:31 PM]
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Yay Moe! That's a pretty impressive model you got there buddy!
First thing ive done besides playing with spheres and stuff just started learning this week :o

I followed the tutorial off of 3d studio max, lets just say I gained a new respect for what 3d modelers do.

Brett Biery2D/3D Artist and Graphic DesignNewbie Programmer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement